WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Mar-18 03:06:14

jency.j

Introduction to SDK

Actually while doing the "Introduction to SDK program", the step after generating the LINKER SCRIPT,the USB port near the CF card slot was not recognized by the laptop when connected and the 'FPGA programming failed pop-up' occurs.Kindly please help me out to fix this problem with the possible solutions.

#2 2014-Mar-18 08:56:39

welsh
Administrator

Re: Introduction to SDK

First, were you able to successfully install the ISE design suite?  This should have contained all of the drivers necessary for the JTAG programmer.  If you unplug the JTAG programmer from both the computer and the board; and then plug it in to the computer, it should be recognized by Windows.  If not, you might have a faulty tool installation or you might need to restart your computer. 

Occasionally, the SDK will have trouble communicating with a JTAG programmer.  To better test the connection, you should open iMPACT (Start --> <Type 'iMPACT' in the "Search programs and files">) which is the standalone Xilinx FPGA programming tool.  You can just create a new project and "Configure devices using Boundary-Scan (JTAG)".  At that point, the tool will verify the JTAG chain and you should see "Identify Succeeded" if the host PC was able to successfully communicate with the FPGA on the board. 

Once you have verified that the host PC can communicate with the FPGA over JTAG, try programming the board again using the SDK.

#3 2014-Mar-21 16:10:14

northk

Hi, I also have a problem when doing "Introduction to SDK program".
After 12. Click "Generate" and then "Yes" to the message that says you are going to overwrite an existing linker script. The console will print messages and end with "Finished building: *_example.elf.elfcheck"
I didn't get "Finished building:...", but get:
../src/w3_example.c:2:25: fatal error: xparameters.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [src/w3_example.o] Error 1

I cannot find the xparamters.h file. How can I solve it?

Thanks

#4 2014-Mar-21 16:41:11

murphpo
Administrator

xparameters.h is provided by the board support package (BSP) project.

Do you have a BSP project in your SDK workspace? This should have been created when you imported projects into the workspace earlier in the tutorial.

#5 2014-Mar-22 09:19:16

northk

Yes, I have a bsp project. I found that this error exist when I import the project.
In "Includes", the "w3_TemplateProject_.....v1p3_bsp/microblaze_0/include" cannot be found.
I go to the directory, there is not "microblaze_0/include" in my "w3_TemplateProject_.....v1p3_bsp" directory.
Is there any other files that I should download?

#6 2014-Mar-22 13:22:27

murphpo
Administrator

The BSP includes directory will be created/populated when the BSP is compiled. Does the BSP icon show a red X in the SDK Project Explorer tab, indicating a problem during BSP compilation?

One SDK trick- the SDK console doesn't show BSP compilation errors by default, since it switches to the software project compiler output immediately after the BSP build finishes (successful or not). To switch the console back to the BSP compiler output, click once on any software project, then click once on the BSP project. The SDK console tab should then show the BSP build result. You can tell it's the BSP compiler output if there are log entries for "libgen". A successful BSP compiler log ends with "Finished building libraries".

#7 2014-Mar-22 23:38:36

northk

Yes, there is error in BSP compilation. It says:
00:32:56 ERROR : Unable to read in MSS file C:\Xilinx\w3_TemplateProject_OnBoardPeriphs_v1p3\SDK_workspace\w3_TemplateProject_OnBoardPeriphs_v1p3_bsp\system.mss.
How can I fix this?

Is it possible that I use ISE 14.7? Will this example work with ISE 14.3? I don't want to use ISE 13.4 since I already order Digilent HS2 JTAG Programming Cable, and according to the website, it is : "seemingly incompatible with ISE 13.4; works with ISE 14.3+".

#8 2014-Mar-23 14:16:06

murphpo
Administrator

Yep, you're exactly right. I just posted a template project for ISE 14.4: w3_TemplateProject_OnBoardPeriphs_v1p4.zip.

I also tested this project successfully in SDK 14.7. Be sure you've already setup the WARP edk_user_repository as a Global Repository in the SDK (or XPS - they share this setting).

We'll work on updating the getting started tutorials this week to use newer tools. The GUIs have changed slightly from 13.4 to 14.7, but the basic design flows are identical.

#9 2014-Mar-23 15:53:41

northk

It works well now. Thank you so much.

Board footer