WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Sep-04 13:11:13

jgt2

Problem connecting to internet

I have a V3 WARP kit configured as an AP for the 802.11 reference design. I need to connect this kit to the internet and have smartphones access internet through it. Yet, there seems to be an authentication problem with the internet service provider and when I contacted them they asked for the MAC addresses of the kit so they can register them and enable internet access. I gave them the two MAC addresses printed on the kit, but still the kit does not get access to internet for an authentication problem. I contacted the service provider again, and they asked me to get them the MAC address of the WiFi interface of the kit, not the two MAC addresses printed on it. I am not sure if such MAC address exists, and if so, how can I get it.

Thank you.

#2 2014-Sep-04 16:25:40

chunter
Administrator

Re: Problem connecting to internet

This is an important but subtle trait of the 802.11 AP design -- it has no wired MAC address on Eth A. It acts as a proper wireless-to-wired bridge. The Ethernet frames it transmits use a source MAC address that is the wireless MAC address from the client associated with the AP that sent that frame. RiceNet is freaking out because it can't authenticate the various clients you've attached to the AP, not that it can't authenticate the AP. The AP is invisible to the Ethernet network.

There are three possible solutions to the problem:

(1) You can tell IT to add the MAC addresses of all the clients that you want to use.

(2) You can buy a gigabit wired router like this one and plug the AP into the LAN side and RiceNet into the WAN side. Then, you could tell IT to add the MAC address of the router's WAN interface. Every client that attaches to the AP will then be double NATed through the new router. This is probably the easiest solution. I believe the RNG group at Rice that uses the 802.11 design uses this approach.

(3) It would require some code hacking, but it would be feasible to modify the C-code in the AP to keep a table of wireless MAC addresses of associated clients and uniquely map them to the Rice-owned MAC addresses. Whenever the AP is about to send a wired frame, it would go to this table and, instead, send the packet as if it was sent from the Rice-owned address. When received a wired frame, it would look through the same table and overwrite the Rice-owned address with the actual wireless MAC address. This would basically be a layer 2 NAT. You would tell Rice IT to add the Rice-owned MAC addresses to the whitelist.

#3 2014-Sep-05 13:06:26

jgt2

Re: Problem connecting to internet

Thank you so much. That helped a lot.

Board footer