WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-Aug-08 14:47:57

EugenS

Software Tools supported

Hi.

We've been trying unsuccessfully to compile the OFDM Reference Design V4.0 using the following tools:

MATLAB 7.3.0. 267 (2006b)
Simulink 6.5
System Generator 9.1.01i
ISE 9.1.03i
EDK 9.2.02i

Is there any known tools incompatiblity?
Even the simplest Lab2 (University of Oulu workshop) adder.mdl will be converted by sysgen2opb (however warnings of unconnected objects which may not be supported by future sysgen), but when run WARP OPB Export Tool compilation target, the following applicaton error dialog box pops-up:

wc.exe - Application Error (The application failed to initialize property...)

The computer hangs and I see tens of wc.exe processes running.

Did we spend so much time using the wrong tools?

Thanks a lot for any feedback,
E

#2 2007-Aug-08 15:45:46

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Software Tools supported

The major version numbers of the Xilinx tools must always match. You cannot use EDK 9.2 with ISE/Sysgen 9.1.

We have successfully compiled the reference designs using both the 8.2 and 9.1 tools.

#3 2007-Aug-08 15:52:59

EugenS

Sorry, we're using EDK 9.1.2.

Unfortuantely we get the errors I've mentioned. Any feedback from anybody getting the same behavior (and hopefully having a solution) is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eugen

#4 2007-Aug-08 16:41:50

murphpo
Administrator

wc.exe is part of the Cygwin installation included with an EDK installation (C:\EDK\cygwin\bin\wc.exe). The OPB Export Tool doesn't explicitly call wc, though it may be required by some of the EDK utilities used by the tool (like psfutil). Double check that your EDK installation is correct (in a path with no spaces, etc.). Also verify that the EDK works alone, maybe with a simple project like our XPS Intro tutorial. Finally, if you have Cygwin installed separately (i.e. a version you installed independent of the EDK), try uninstalling it, in case the versions of wc.exe are conflicting.

#5 2007-Aug-08 18:11:51

EugenS

Hi Patrick,

You're right. We're not using the EDK cygwin version because is not compatible with other programs we're running. We're still able to run EDK in GUI with our cygwin version by massaging one script files (running dos2unix utility on synthesis.sh through an EDK custom button; Xilinx workaround), but seems that when running WARP OPB Export tool, we can solve the cywgin compatibilty in the same way as running from EDK environment.

Anyway, we thank you for looking into the issue and for helping us solving it.

Thanks,
Eugen

#6 2007-Aug-08 19:05:49

EugenS

...I've meant "we CAN'T solve the cywgin compatibilty in the same way as running from EDK GUI"

...Too excited about solving the issue I'm having for two weeks now.

Eugen

#7 2007-Aug-08 22:57:05

murphpo
Administrator

Well, short of uninstalling the standalone Cywin, I don't have any other suggestions. Xilinx's support library has a bunch of articles about Cywgin issues (here's a list). Maybe one of the workarounds they talk about might help.

#8 2007-Aug-09 15:55:18

EugenS

Thanks for pointing me to the latest Xilinx solutions for cygwin issues. Setting SHELLOPTS=igncr solved the EDK incompatibility in a more ellegant way.

All my programs work now with a fair new cygwin installation  :)

Board footer