WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-Aug-22 18:54:54

DQ A

MIMO-OFDM demo questions

We are going to get WARP boards. I am interested in showing the demo you guys did in the video (http://warp.rice.edu/news.php#050107). I have the following questions I hope you can help me:

1) I noticed the application you ran is on MAC PC. So what is it, and can we find one on Windows Machine?

2) I browsed the wiki and could get to http://warp.rice.edu/trac/wiki/OFDMReferenceDesign from two places, the wireless reference research applications. However, it is confusing to me in that one is saying the design is a mimo system and the other saying it is a siso one. Also when I looked into the OFDM_ReferenceDesign_v04.zip I downloaded following the link, I couldn't find how the design interact with the application transmitting and receiving the video. Can you clarify on these?

Thanks very much!
-Q

#2 2007-Aug-22 19:34:11

murphpo
Administrator

Re: MIMO-OFDM demo questions

1) We use VLC for many of our demos. VLC is open-source and runs equally well on Windows and Macs (it looks better on the Mac, of course; but that's a fight for a different forum).

2) The OFDM reference design is a full EDK project which builds a wired-wireless bridge using WARP. The physical layer implementation in the reference design is generated from the ofdm_txrx_mimo.mdl System Generator model. It is capable of either SISO or spatially multiplexed MIMO modes. The SISO mode is stable and is the default mode in the reference design. The multiplexing mode also works, but requires sufficient scattering in the environment, which can be hard to achieve in a lab setup. We have a second OFDM PHY (ofdm_txrx_alamouti) which implements a 2x2 MIMO link using the Alamouti space time block code. We will post a reference design for this PHY soon.

The reference design interacts with the PCs via Ethernet. VLC transmits a video stream using UDP via Ethernet to a WARP board, which transmits the packets wirelessly. The second WARP node reverses the process, sending wirelessly received packets over Ethernet to a second PC.

#3 2007-Aug-22 19:40:33

DQ A

Thanks very much! It's really helpful.

#4 2007-Aug-27 15:05:43

DQ A

Hi,

I noticed from some of the documents that we need 1 DC power supply, 1 USB cable and 1 serial cable to connect the FPGA boards to PCs. Should we buy these ourselves, or are they shipped with the boards? Thanks.

-Q

#5 2007-Aug-27 15:20:29

murphpo
Administrator

We ship the kits with a serial (DB9-DB9 null modem) cable, CompactFlash card, antenna and power supply. You'll need to supply any USB and Ethernet cables, neither of which is required but probably useful in most setups.

#6 2007-Aug-27 15:57:08

DQ A

Thanks. So my understanding is we can use the serial port as programming port instead of the USB cable, is it correct?

#7 2007-Aug-27 16:09:17

murphpo
Administrator

No. There are three ways to load bitstreams to the FPGA:
-CompactFlash cards (via the SystemACE CF controller)
-USB cable using Xilinx iMPACT or ChipScope
-Xilinx Parallel IV or USB Platform JTAG programming cables

You can read more about all three options in the FPGA Board Users Guide.

#8 2007-Sep-14 00:27:15

DQ A

Hi,

Do you have a workshop scheduled for the Fall? If so, when will it approximately be?
Thanks!

#9 2007-Sep-14 10:33:39

murphpo
Administrator

We are planning a workshop for this fall, probably in late October. Watch the WARP site for updates once we've settled on a date.

#10 2009-Apr-01 06:57:01

vishnu

Hi
Is it necessary that we should use only the compact flash delivered with board. or we can use any one? Are there any specific applications which can be done only with compact flash

Thanks.

#11 2009-Apr-01 08:09:55

murphpo
Administrator

Any CompactFlash card should work fine. We've used lots of brands and sizes successfully over the years. Very occasionally, we find one that won't work, though it's always been a cheap, unbranded card of questionable quality.

The filesystem on the card must be FAT12 or FAT16 for the SystemACE controller to use it. The tool and instructions for formatting the card are available in our FAQ.

Board footer