WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Jan-07 01:10:20

dhawan_chhavi

Using Lemming MAC Application

Hi...

We'd recently attended the workshop conducted by you people in IIT, Chennai..and  trying to work with the Lemming MAC Application,
Had a few queries regarding that...
1.  In the cient side, the client is responding to some ARPREQUEST Packet, which I guess is the Address Resolution Protocol..and  requested  by the server..but in the Lemming MAC Server, I'm unable to locate this request...
2.  Where and how is the FOLLOME Packet defined...(Like in the notes provided)..The only thing I could find is the type FOLLOW  2,
but the pkt structure is not defined anywhere..
3. How are you  switching the channels...In the code, switch channel function is used but it is using the RANDNUM?(5)Function, which generates the random value between 0-4 (Why only thse values are taken..)

Hope you'll be able to clarify these minor doubts of mine...

Thanx in advance..

#2 2008-Jan-07 12:50:40

chunter
Administrator

Re: Using Lemming MAC Application

Hello,

First, please make sure you are using the latest versions of the workshop materials (link). "Lemming MAC" underwent changes and became the "Hop MAC" you encountered in the workshop.

1) The ARPREQUEST handling is only mentioned in the server's wireless MAC source. Think of this as just a catch to make sure the server sends those packets. Otherwise, we'd have to hardcode the ARP tables of all the computers so they could all communicate with one another. It's not mentioned at all in the client code simply because the client wireless MAC simply doesn't care. It pushes any and all packets destined for a certain IP address to the attached computer. There is no need to make a distinction.

2) I believe this is a version issue... It sounds like your documentation is out of date. The FOLLOWME packets were renamed in the newest rev to FOLLOW.

3) Again, I think that's an old version. The new version handles that like this.

I hope that helps.

Board footer