WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Jan-21 21:24:33

Manikanta Kotaru

Calibrating for response of WARP hardware, specifically tx/rx chains

This is a general question, on which I have spent a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using WARPLAB 7 with hardware platform Ver 2.2

Topic: Calculating the Channel Response.
I want to calculate the channel response between a transmitter tx and each of four receivers rx.

Challenges:
The tx/rx chains are going to introduce their own responses. One needs to calibrate for them.
The four rx are not locked into same phase. They are static but not same.

What is the best way to calibrate for the responses introduced by the tx/rx chains on WARP?

Method I have been following:
#Step1:
Connect wires of equal length between tx and each of the four rx (using identical RF splitters in between). Calculate the composite channel response (including the responses introduced by WARP platform). Let the impulse response calculated be Wired_Composite(f).
#Step2:
Remove the wires, and now antennas are placed. So, it is wireless channel now. Calculate the composite response again. Let the response be Wireless_Composite(f).
#Step3:
Channel Response(f) = Wireless_Composite(f)/Wired_Composite(f). I understand that to get the actual channel response, I need to multiply the above channel response with the response due to wired support alone. What is a good way to find that? Also, is there a better experimental setup, where I need not switch between wired and wireless setups constantly?

I took care that wl_initnodes is initialized only once for the entire duration when the boards are on.

Board footer