WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Feb-28 00:35:15

Neha

unable to ping pc in ofdm reference

I have downloaded download-nomac.bit on warp boards V3 from OFDM_ReferenceDesign_FPGAv3 , but not able to ping the systems in wireless.
I have assigned IP address 10.0.0.200 to one system & 10.0.0.201 to other system. I was able to ping when they are connected via wire, ie hub.
The board are configured to spped of 100Mb.
I want to stream a video.
I have 2 radio boards on each board.
Sometimes I am able to ping the systems but again it gives error “ Request timed out”.
I have changed have code.
In NoMac.c :
//Set the modulation scheme for the packet's full-rate symbols
    txFrame.header.fullRate = HDR_FULLRATE_QPSK;
    //txFrame.header.fullRate = HDR_FULLRATE_QAM_16;

//Set the payload coding rate
    //txFrame.header.codeRate = HDR_CODE_RATE_NONE;
    txFrame.header.codeRate = HDR_CODE_RATE_12;
    //txFrame.header.codeRate = HDR_CODE_RATE_23;
    //txFrame.header.codeRate = HDR_CODE_RATE_34;
//Choose the antnenna mode
    //warpphy_setAntennaMode(TX_ANTMODE_SISO_ANTA, RX_ANTMODE_SISO_ANTA);
    warpphy_setAntennaMode(TX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_2ANT, RX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_SELDIV);
    //warpphy_setAntennaMode(TX_ANTMODE_MULTPLX, RX_ANTMODE_MULTPLX);

In WarpPhy.c
//Set the default antenna configuration
    warpphy_txAntMode = TX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_2ANT;
    warpphy_rxAntMode = RX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_SELDIV;
    activePHYStatusBits = DEFAULT_STATUSBITS;
//Set the antenna modes to SISO by default
    warpphy_setAntennaMode(TX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_2ANT, RX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_SELDIV);

#2 2014-Feb-28 08:59:07

murphpo
Administrator

Re: unable to ping pc in ofdm reference

Sometimes I am able to ping the systems but again it gives error “ Request timed out”.

Please clarify this. You are sometimes able to ping one PC from the other when they are using the WARP kits + OFDM ref design for their network link? Or you can only ping between PCs when they are connected directly via Ethernet?

I have changed have code.

Do you see different behavior if you use the download-nomac.bit file included in the OFDM ref design package? How about download-csmamac.bit?

#3 2014-Mar-03 01:29:34

Neha

I am able to ping the two PC when they are directly connected.
I am also able to ping the PC when they are Programmed using nomac.c and csma.c , but still I am unable to stream the video.
Windows Firewall is turned off.

#4 2014-Mar-03 10:28:32

murphpo
Administrator

Does video streaming work when you connect the PCs directly?

#5 2014-Mar-05 00:22:32

Neha

Yes sir. It worked when I connected it directly.
Infact now  I am able to transmit it through wireless connection also.
I have few queries regarding the transmission.
1. I am not able to understand the Caching time settings in VLC at source and Destination nodes . Please help me for the same.
2. If i wish to transmit any image file or simple data file what will be its procedure.
3. How to calculate the BER , throughput and see the constellation diagrams at destination node.
4. How to change the noise effects in the design or code so that I am able to plot a graph for BER and Noise intensity.

#6 2014-Mar-05 08:37:57

chunter
Administrator

1. I'm not sure what the various settings for VLC do. I'm sure there are many resources online that explain those settings.
2. If your PCs are connected via the the OFDM Reference Design then any file transfer protocol should more or less work. From their perspective, they are connected over Ethernet. So a Windows SMB share, apple AFP share, FTP, SFTP, etc. will all work. Note: some of those protocols are more "chatty" than others, so their performance will be dependent on the quality of the wireless link and may very well be different from one another.
3. Those are three very different things. Throughput can be measured on the PCs using a tool like iperf. Constellations may be viewed in Chipscope or through the use of an auxiliary analog or DAC board. Note, the latter will require FPGA fabric hardware changes to allow I/Q samples to be driven over the appropriate ports to the DACs. BER is challenging to measure. You'd need to rig up an experiment by customizing the design so that known payloads are compared against at the receiver for determining BER.
4. Typically this is done with a wireless channel emulator (like the Azimuth Wireless Channel Emulator). This equipment is very expensive. Alternatively, you can adjust the transmit power to emulate the effects of path loss and control the SNR in the design. This strategy won't let you control the multipath fading in the environment.

Board footer