• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Skylark Wireless Announces a Wideband UHF Radio Card for WARPv3

#26 2015-Jun-22 03:51:15

mcccliii

Re: Skylark Wireless Announces a Wideband UHF Radio Card for WARPv3

Hi Vuum Team,

I have few more questions for you.

1. For 802.11g, I am using v1.2 of the reference design. WURC ref design is based on mango v.96. I looked at the change log for Mango ref. design and saw that only from v1.2, setting Tx_power from python script was incorporated. Do you have any recent plan to upgrade the WURC reference design?
I would like to ask if  the logs extracted from log_capture_two_node flow.py using v.96 provides approximate information regarding the Rx power(dBm) at WURC front end.
-- Here is the sample log extracted from RX_OFDM_LTG entry where I have extracted timestamp, Rx_power, rx_payload and Mac_payload.
-- My experiment setup:

Code:

Bench experiment with cable connection.
Overall_Tx_gain=15dBm (set from UART n 15)
Serial Attenuation= 20+20+30=70dB
script: log_capture_two_node_two_flow.py

Result: Rx_OFM_LTG info

2. For my measurement campaign, I need to calculate the maximum achievable TP at certain MCS and different attenuation. For WARP ref design the statistics  was comparable to specification of Mango hardware.
For 802.11af also, I performed TP vs attenuation test.

Code:

Experiment setup:
Script= throughput_two_nodes.py
Attenuation: 50....90
Tx Power= 15dBm set from UART
MCS= 0...7

RESULT:TP_Attenuation_WURC. For WARP ref design, I got this TP _vs_Attenuation _WARP
--From the output, the TP for MCS >3 is almost zero.
--> What MCS does 802.11af reference design support?
--> Will the v96 wlan_exp framework script operate with all  MCS stated in 802.11af specification? :TP_cal_script.py

Thank you

Last edited by mcccliii (2015-Jun-23 02:32:39)

#27 2015-Jun-24 09:48:53

SkylarkWireless

Re: Skylark Wireless Announces a Wideband UHF Radio Card for WARPv3

mcccliii,

Sorry for the slow responses. We're moving to a new office, so equipment and people are all over the place.

mcccliii wrote:

1. For 802.11g, I am using v1.2 of the reference design. WURC ref design is based on mango v.96. I looked at the change log for Mango ref. design and saw that only from v1.2, setting Tx_power from python script was incorporated. Do you have any recent plan to upgrade the WURC reference design?
I would like to ask if  the logs extracted from log_capture_two_node flow.py using v.96 provides approximate information regarding the Rx power(dBm) at WURC front end.
-- Here is the sample log extracted from RX_OFDM_LTG entry where I have extracted timestamp, Rx_power, rx_payload and Mac_payload.
-- My experiment setup:
Result: Rx_OFM_LTG info

At this time there are no plans to update Vuum's port of the 802.11 Reference Design to the bleeding edge 802.11g WLAN version. If you need scriptable WURC settings for your experiments, we have developed a tested (Linux, Mac OS, Windows) Python wrapper for the WURC USB interface and can provide that for your use. Please contact info [at] vuum [dot] com for more information.

mcccliii wrote:

2. For my measurement campaign, I need to calculate the maximum achievable TP at certain MCS and different attenuation. For WARP ref design the statistics  was comparable to specification of Mango hardware.
For 802.11af also, I performed TP vs attenuation test.

RESULT:TP_Attenuation_WURC. For WARP ref design, I got this TP _vs_Attenuation _WARP
--From the output, the TP for MCS >3 is almost zero.
--> What MCS does 802.11af reference design support?
--> Will the v96 wlan_exp framework script operate with all  MCS stated in 802.11af specification? :TP_cal_script.py

Thank you

This looks about right. I'd like to emphasize that the WURC Reference design is a quarter- or half-clocked 802.11g PHY as it is based off Mango's 802.11g reference design. This waveform in no way complies with the 802.11af standard, which requires 128 subcarriers, similar to 802.11ac's VHT40 PHY.

https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/sta … -2013.html

Since the WURC 802.11 reference defaults into 5 MHz mode (a single TVWS channel), all throughput measurements should be precisely 1/4 the respective 20 MHz 802.11g rates. In 10 MHz mode, those measurements at precisely 1/2 the respective 20 MHz 802.11g rate.

As of today, while the Mango 802.11 Reference Design supports up to 64-QAM, the Vuum port of the design only supports up to QPSK modulations, as you've demonstrated. Higher modulations are supported by the WURC analog front end, however they are not functional in our port of the 802.11 reference design. If you'd like precise testing of higher modulation rates, I would recommend the WURC WARPLab framework, where you can encode, send, and decode arbitrary 802.11 packets, up to and including 802.11af (you'd have to implement this PHY in MATLAB), allowing you to control for the digital baseband implementation.

https://xp-dev.com/svn/VoloPublic/trunk … irate_v2.m

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Skylark Wireless Announces a Wideband UHF Radio Card for WARPv3

Board footer