WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-May-06 02:59:45

modulus2

Simulation error - OFDM Reference Design

Hello,

when i try to simulate the original 18p1 or 18p0 OFDM reference design, i get the following error:
(I am using Matlab-version 2014a)

------------------------------
Error evaluating 'InitFcn' callback of block_diagram 'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded'.
Could not open filename: cs/preamble_only_no_AGC_why_no_autocorr.prn
Component: Simulink | Category: Model error

Additionally, when starting the system generator, i get the following error:

Error: Errors occurred during netlist generation. Error evaluatting 'InitFcn' callback of block_diagram 'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded'.

Details:

Begin generation
Checking model status
Checking simulation times
Performing compilation and generation

*** ERROR ***

Errors occurred during netlist generation.
Error evaluating 'InitFcn' callback of block_diagram '<a href="matlab:open_system ('ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded')">ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded</a>'.

here the output when i run it from the matlab console

Trial>> run 'ofdm_rx_supermimo_init'
Error using xlLoadChipScopeData (line 33)
Could not open filename: cs/preamble_only_no_AGC_why_no_autocorr.prn

Error in ofdm_rx_supermimo_init (line 243)
xlLoadChipScopeData('cs/preamble_only_no_AGC_why_no_autocorr.prn'); csInterp = 4; t_start = 2250;

Error in run (line 63)
evalin('caller', [script ';']);

Trial>>

All the files are untouched and lying in their original project folders after unzipping.
Has anybody an idea what's the cause of that problem?

Last edited by modulus2 (2014-May-06 03:41:19)

#2 2014-May-06 23:36:21

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Simulation error - OFDM Reference Design

Error in ofdm_rx_supermimo_init (line 243)
xlLoadChipScopeData('cs/preamble_only_no_AGC_why_no_autocorr.prn'); csInterp = 4; t_start = 2250;

You can fix this by commenting out the "xlLoadChipScopeData" line in ofdm_rx_supermimo_init.m

This line is leftover from the last time I was debugging the PHY model using real samples captured via ChipScope. Sorry for the error.

#3 2014-May-07 07:11:22

modulus2

thank you for the advice.
first error is solved, but now i got stuck with the next error:

---------------------------------------------------------
Begin generation
Checking model status
Checking simulation times
Performing compilation and generation

*** ERROR ***

Errors occurred during netlist generation.
The block diagram '<a href="matlab:open_system ('ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded')">ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded</a>' uses bus signals. However, the '<a href="matlab:modeladvisorprivate('openSimprmAdvancedPage','ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded','Diagnostics/Connectivity')">Mux blocks used to create bus signals</a>' diagnostic is not configured to 'error'. To prevent modeling errors:

(1) <a href="matlab:UpgradeAdvisor.open('ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded')">Open Upgrade Advisor</a> and run the 'Check for Mux blocks used to create bus signals' check.
(2) Follow the recommendations from this check to make your model compliant.
---------------------------------------------------------

so, i did run the mux block check in the update advisor and there are the next problems:

--------------------------------- Version Log ----------------------------------
Version                                 Path
System Generator                        C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/sysgen
Matlab 8.3.0.532 (R2014a)               C:/Program Files/MATLAB/R2014a
ISE                                     C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary of Errors:
Error 0001: XObjectPool::Pool: lookup failed
     Block: 'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded/OFDM Tx MIMO/Pre-Spin,  Filters & DACs/Scaling/Mult7'
Error 0002: XObjectPool::Pool: lookup failed
     Block: 'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded/OFDM Tx MIMO/Pre-Spin,  Filters & DACs/Tx_AntA_DAC_I'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error 0001:

Reported by:
  'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded/OFDM Tx MIMO/Pre-Spin,  Filters & DACs/Scaling/Mult7'

Details:
XObjectPool::Pool: lookup failed

Error 0001:

Reported by:
  'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded/OFDM Tx MIMO/Pre-Spin,  Filters & DACs/Tx_AntA_DAC_I'

Details:

i guess switching to a compatible, older version of the xilinx tools and matlab should be more efficient?
murpho, please let me know which version of the xilinx tools and matlab is should use to get the ODFM example compiled without compatibility issues.

#4 2014-May-07 22:36:47

murphpo
Administrator

Details:

In all my years of using Sysgen, I've never seen that error. I'll try to reproduce this tomorrow.

OFDM ref design v18.1 for WARP v3 hardware is built with Xilinx ISE 13.4. System Generator 13.4 supports MATLAB version is R2011a (see Xilinx AR17966 for the full Xilinx-MATLAB version list).

One question- have you considered the 802.11 reference design for your project? The 802.11 PHY models are also built in System Generator, but were built from scratch using newer tools. The raw PHY performance is better than the original OFDM PHY, and the overall architecture is much cleaner.

#5 2014-May-08 08:26:39

modulus2

Hello murpho,

thank you for your help.
I have switched to Matlab R2011a and Xilinx ISE 13.4 and got the OFDM reference design successfully compiled.
As far as i see, the 802.11 reference design license is not intended for commercial use.
That's why we chose the OFDM reference design as starting point.

#6 2014-May-08 09:23:01

murphpo
Administrator

I have switched to Matlab R2011a and Xilinx ISE 13.4 and got the OFDM reference design successfully compiled.

Ok, good. Clearly something changed from 13.4 to 14+ that breaks the OFDM model - I'll see if I can reproduce it.

As far as i see, the 802.11 reference design license is not intended for commercial use.

The license allows academic and commercial use. The only restriction is that the design (and its derivatives) be used on Mango-supplied hardware.

#7 2014-May-08 11:36:15

murphpo
Administrator

I just reproduced the error opening the OFDM PHY in Sysgen 14.7 in MATLAB R2013b. I resolved it by:
-Replacing the one Simulink mux block with a bus creator block, in /OFDM Rx MIMO/Coarse Freq Correction/ (the mux is driving the third input to the "CFO" scope)
-Changing the "Mux blocks used to create bus signals" diagnostic to Error (was Warning) in Simulink Preferences / Configuration Defaults/ Diagnostics / Connectivity

With these changes the model simulates successfully. I did not try exporting the pcore. The XPS design for the OFDM Ref design v18.1 will definitely need updates to use in XPS 14.7. Many of the Xilinx-supplied cores (MicroBlaze, PLB, gpio, etc) were updated between 13.4 and 14.7. The XPS revup tool (runs automatically when opening an outdated project) can usually fix these.

#8 2017-Nov-06 10:06:29

toance0901

Hello everyone,
- I have same a question. But when have addition an error:
"Error evaluating 'InitFcn' callback of block_diagram 'ofdm_txrx_supermimo_coded'.
Caused by:
ASSUMEDTYPE must be an integer type name. ".
- Besides when I run two commands in Matlab
>> ofdm_rx_supermimo_init
"Error using bitshift
ASSUMEDTYPE must be an integer type name.

Error in CRC_table_gen (line 12)
    crc_accum = bitshift(n,(bitLen-8),bitLen);

Error in ofdm_tx_supermimo_init (line 59)
CRC_Table32 = CRC_table_gen(CRCPolynomial32, 32);

Error in ofdm_rx_supermimo_init (line 2)
ofdm_tx_supermimo_init;"
Notes:
- I'm using ISE 14.7 and Matlab R2012a.
Can you help me! Thank you!

Last edited by toance0901 (2017-Nov-06 10:10:16)

#9 2017-Nov-06 11:20:03

chunter
Administrator

MATLAB has changed the arguments to bitshift() in modern releases. In R2011b, which we recommend for using the old OFDM Reference Design, the API for bitshift allowed the third argument to be an integer "n" that "causes any bits that overflow n bits to be dropped."

In the latest MATLAB, bitshift()'s third argument now has to be an integer type name (i.e. 'uint64' | 'uint32' | 'uint16' | 'uint8' | 'int64' | 'int32' | 'int16' | 'int8').

For this particular case, I think you can use 'uint32' and 'uint16' respectively for the two calls that are leading to that error. But in general, if you want to use the older OFDM Reference Design with modern MATLAB, you'll have to update the design to work around the changes The MathWorks has made to MATLAB. Otherwise you should install an older MATLAB like 2011b that better aligns with the MATLAB that was used to create the old Reference Design.

Board footer