WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-Feb-24 16:18:48

Junqing Zhang

Beacon, re-transmission

Hi, I want to ask if the Beacon can be retransmitted in 802.11 reference design.

I remember in the MAC standard, Beacon is broadcasted to all the users within the range, so I don't think the STA will require the AP to retransmit the Beacon if it hasn't received correctly.

But in one experiment I ran, I find the Beacon is re-transmitted several times. See the figure in the link below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7252wmvw92e5 … n.jpg?dl=0

Could you help me on this?

Many thanks.

#2 2015-Feb-24 17:00:47

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Beacon, re-transmission

Refer to the wlan_exp log entry docs for the meaning of the pkt_type field. The value 11 means "management", as defined in wlan_mac_high.h. Beacons are one type of management frame, but there are many others.

The packets you've highlight are probably unicast probe responses, which are re-transmitted like any other unicast frame by the DCF state machine. To isolate beacons from other management packets, you would need to examine the mac_payload bytes in the log entry. The first byte (type_control field) in the MAC header in the payload of the packet. Refer to wlan_mac_802_11_defs.h for the definitions of the various type_control values.

Board footer