WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Feb-04 11:04:57

Curiouscase

802.11 WiFi Over IR

Hi,
   I'd like to know if its possible to use the WARP project to implement the WiFi Standard(802.11) over IR(infrared) instead of RF . The idea is to use the WARP board and its code to implement all the layers upto the PHY and then possible swap out the RF component with an IR component. I would highly appreciate some input on this. Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-Feb-06 08:20:59

chunter
Administrator

Re: 802.11 WiFi Over IR

The Mango 802.11 Reference Design does not implement the legacy chapter 15 infrared PHY from the 802.11-2012 standard. I have no experience with the details of that particular PHY. It isn't OFDM, so there isn't much you could re-use from the PHY that is part of the Reference Design. Presumably many elements of the MAC could be re-used, but it still would be a substantial development effort. Also, you'd need an IR transceiver of some kind and would have to interface to it either via the debug header or FMC connector. I'm not aware of any third party hardware products that would suit these needs.

#3 2017-Feb-06 08:27:05

murphpo
Administrator

Re: 802.11 WiFi Over IR

It is definitely feasible to add an optical transceiver to the WARP v3 hardware; this paper presents one example. We have never worked with IR links, so we cannot recommend any particular IR transceiver options. You would need to find the right transceiver hardware and figure out how to use with the WARP v3 FMC slot. Then you would need to adapt the IR transceiver baseband interface to the I/Q signals at the PHY interface.

Board footer