WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Jun-01 06:53:20

pixel

FIFO in receiver and other question WARP HW V.2

Hi Everyone,

I want to implement a very simple project in warmp V.2 board and I am be new user.

1- I want to create a FIFO in receiver, how can I do that? every packet in one cell of FIFO.any help to how to write the code?
2- I want to do some modification for back off timer in transmitter. I have a random interface and based on that, I will change my timer.
    Can navigate me through other possible timer back off algorithms which helps me to increase the throughput and decrease the jitter.                           
    any help to how to write the code?
3- I need to have a dynamic transmitter rate base of interface. any help to how to write the code?

Thank you in advance for any navigation.

#2 2017-Jun-01 11:17:22

chunter
Administrator

Re: FIFO in receiver and other question WARP HW V.2

Please do not make duplicate posts as it clutters the forums. We deleted all but this post - please continue the thread here.

pixel wrote:

1- I want to create a FIFO in receiver, how can I do that? every packet in one cell of FIFO.any help to how to write the code?

You'll have to be more specific. Are you building a real-time design? Since this is for WARP v2, is what you are building based off the older OFDM Reference Design? If so, that design uses multiple Rx packet buffers for the PHY to fill received packets into. The processor then deals with them and clears them for the PHY to re-use.

pixel wrote:

2- I want to do some modification for back off timer in transmitter. I have a random interface and based on that, I will change my timer.
    Can navigate me through other possible timer back off algorithms which helps me to increase the throughput and decrease the jitter.                           
    any help to how to write the code?

This is too general of a question for us to assist with. I can't provide any guidance on different algorithms, but I can state that the OFDM Reference Design implements a binary exponential backoff (BEB) algorithm for channel access. The parameters of that backoff can be changed in C code.

pixel wrote:

3- I need to have a dynamic transmitter rate base of interface. any help to how to write the code?

Can you clarify what you mean by this? The OFDM Reference Design provides supports for a variety of PHY modulation rates. It's conceivable that you could build rate adaptation into the design by implementing whatever heuristics you want (e.g. packet failures cause the rate to be lowered).

#3 2017-Jun-01 17:30:59

pixel

Hi Chunter.

Thank you for your replies. here is my comments.

chunter  wrote:

You'll have to be more specific. Are you building a real-time design? Since this is for WARP v2, is what you are building based off the older OFDM Reference Design? If so, that design uses multiple Rx packet buffers for the PHY to fill received packets into. The processor then deals with them and clears them for the PHY to re-use.

I ordered that I must use FIFO in receiver, 32 logical FIFO is in hardware avalable. I should test the system in front of the others while there is an interference.  maybe they meant implement FIFO with maximum 30 buffers. Yes, it is based on OFDM design. I have two antennas and two warmp boards, one is receiver and the other one is transmitter.

chunter  wrote:

2-This is too general of a question for us to assist with. I can't provide any guidance on different algorithms, but I can state that the OFDM Reference Design implements a binary exponential backoff (BEB) algorithm for channel access. The parameters of that backoff can be changed in C code.

Yes, and what can be the other proper timers formula for higher throughput?

chunter  wrote:

3-Can you clarify what you mean by this? The OFDM Reference Design provides supports for a variety of PHY modulation rates. It's conceivable that you could build rate adaptation into the design by implementing whatever heuristics you want (e.g. packet failures cause the rate to be lowered).

How can I implement an algorithm to have the best performance in unknown interference? My system must change the rate or algorithm or ...in 20 second to adapt to the environment with  harsh interference to have performance with at least

 more than 1 Mbps for final throughput Reff
 less than 10% relative deviation for jitter

Thank you for your help in advance. :) :)

Last edited by pixel (2017-Jun-02 06:26:51)

#4 2017-Jun-02 09:05:34

murphpo
Administrator

I ordered that I must use FIFO in receiver, 32 logical FIFO is in hardware avalable. I should test the system in front of the others while there is an interference.  maybe they meant implement FIFO with maximum 30 buffers.

I can't figure out what you're describing here. Where do you want to insert a FIFO in the design? And why? The OFDM Ref Design already implements multiple buffers for Tx and Rx packets. These buffers are used to pipeline access to packets by the MAC and PHY (i.e. MAC can prepare a new packet while the Tx PHY sends the current packet; the Rx PHY can begin receiving a new packet while the MAC handles the previous reception). These buffers effectively implement shallow FIFOs between the MAC and PHY layers.

Yes, and what can be the other proper timers formula for higher throughput?

We cannot answer this for you. As Chris said the OFDM Ref Design implements a binary exponential backoff algorithm (inspired by 802.11). You can replace this if your application requires a different backoff scheme. The selection of an alternate backoff scheme is up to you.

How can I implement an algorithm to have the best performance in unknown interference?

Again, this is not something we can answer. We're happy to help with specific questions about the WARP hardware and reference designs, but we aren't prepared to design custom algorithms for your research project.

Board footer