WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-Aug-29 15:20:37

abishek

Re: Recreating the setup used in the workshop

I tried to test each of the paths on both boards using warplab_mimo2*2_gui

I let the gain values as is (3,40,15,1) on the GUI.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup 1 : Board1 - Transmitter, Board2 - Receiver
(A : radio in slot 2 and B : radio in slot 3)
I assume 'select Tx radio A' & 'select Rx radio A' selects radios on slot 2 in both boards.

A - A
Receives fine but the signal seems to be go beyond 1 in amplitude. when i zoom it looks clipped. When i reduce the gain to (3, 20 or 25, 15,1) i see the full signal

A - B
Least amplitude amongst the four setups. Waveform envelope is extremely distorted. when zoomed in, i dont see the sinusoid as expected
Think this path is not functional.

B - A
same as A-A scenario
B - B
same as A-A scenario

Just out of curiosity I changed the vector to be transmitted as exp(j*2pi*40Khz*t) so that I could see the sinusoid better.
Now  in this case, i see the sinusoid in all cases but the A-B path has very low amplitude.(something around 0.4 as compared to 1 for other paths)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup 2 : Board1 - Receiver, Board2 - Transmitter

A - A
Receives fine but the signal seems to be go beyond 1 in amplitude. when i zoom it looks clipped. When i reduce the gain to (3, 20 or 25, 15,1) i see the full signal

A - B
same as A-A scenario

B - A
Least amplitude amongst the four setups. Waveform envelope is extremely distorted. when zoomed in, i dont see the sinusoid as expected
Think this path is not functional.

B - B
same as A-A scenario
Now since B-B worked in setup2, I summarised that radio A on Board1 has probably gone bad.

This seems to be right since nothing used to work for the MAC design when i used the radios on the left.
I was not even getting 1 ping reply in several attempts.

But the interesting issue is that  warplab seems to suggest that Radio B on both boards is fine.
But when i run the MAC design and switch the radio to be used on the fly(using the right user button), I usually get only 2 or 3 ping replies and the others timeout.
When i try running VLC, i get an extremely choppy video.
I have described all this in the previous post.

Please let us know if it will be possible to exchange any of these boards so that you can test them or replace these boards.
Also, my professor does not mind sending me to Houston again if I  can get these boards tested and get them working.

Regards,
Abishek

#27 2008-Sep-02 11:22:45

murphpo
Administrator

abishek wrote:

Now since B-B worked in setup2, I summarised that radio A on Board1 has probably gone bad.

But that radio's (slot 2, node 1) Tx and Rx paths both worked as expected (based on the A-A tests in both directions). Is it possible you mixed up any of the tests? If not, these results are inconsistent with a hardware failure, since every Tx and Rx path worked at least once. That only the node1_radio2 <-> node2_radio3 path misbehaved feels more like a strange channel effect.

#28 2008-Sep-02 15:06:12

abishek

You might be right but what about the amplitude of the signal received that I have described. Is that expected for the gains used?.

Also, nothing works as expected on the MAC design (ofdm) like I have previously mentioned.
Node1_radio2<->Node2_radio2 does not work at all.
Node1_radio3<->Node2_radio3 works at times( I can see a few ping replies every time but it varies, and the video is extremely choppy and  i can see no frame correctly)

What do you think I should do?.

#29 2008-Sep-02 15:10:34

murphpo
Administrator

If the antennas were a few feet apart, then the gains you listed above (for the working paths) are reasonable.

I just posted reference design v11, which corrects the clocking bugs from v10. I know this design supports switching between radios in SISO mode using the left/right push buttons. Try this design, and see if the link works across the paths that worked in WARPLab (like B-B, which worked in both directions).

#30 2008-Sep-05 15:21:22

abishek

I tried this design but this is the problem.
In one of the boards, even though impact says program succeeded, I dont see the 7 segment display or the ethernet leds glow after programming.
In board2, it downloads fine and i see the value of the dip switch after the bitstream is downloaded.

Once again, i went back to version 10 and I was able to program both boards fine.
I still feel Board1 has something wrong because of the following

Board1 to Board2 Ping :
I see the ping request on wireshark at board2 and I also see board2 replying to the ping on wireshark.
Occasionally board1 detects the reply(wireshark/ping reply on cmd prompt), but quite often does not.

When i ping board1 from 2, I see requests going on on board2 but at
board1 (wireshark) i dont see anything at all.

This tells me that the receiver at board1 is not quite right.
Also, all this was for radio3 on both boards.
I even tried changing the frequency on both boards to see if it would help (something like 2457 on both).
On radio2 on both boards, nothing works.

Only thing left for me is to try doing this someplace else maybe to see if there is any interference in my lab.
Which I will do soon.

Eagerly waiting for a reply,
Thanks
Abishek

Last edited by abishek (2008-Sep-05 15:22:33)

#31 2008-Sep-07 21:28:28

murphpo
Administrator

Reference design v10 isn't a good choice for testing both radios- it only provides a sampling clock to one radio, which would explain the faults you saw pinging. Design v09 and v11 will work in SISO mode via either radio.

When you tried v11, did the node that wouldn't program print anything to its serial port?

#32 2008-Sep-09 04:00:12

abishek

v09 did the trick. I finally saw the OFDM fully operational with this version.
I was able to receive ping replies on all 4 ping requests and was also able to stream the mimodemo video and see it on the other laptop.

I still dont understand why version 10 had an issue that was absent in v09. I assumed v10 would be better than v09 in all aspects.

Also, now that radios3 seems to work with v09, I am trying to build software on the project.
I am using 10.1 tools and it says a lot of the cores in the repository have been updated and prompts me to update the same for a lot of the cores.
Is it okay to update all of them. Are there any issues or fine points here when using a project you created in 9.1.

But this worked only on radios 3 on both boards. Using radio2 on both boards was not like before. It was not completely dead but I occasionally got 1 ping reply.
node2 sees the request and replies to each and every ping( wireshark @ node2)
but node1 cannot see the reply most of the time and the request times out.
Any pointers for this...This seems like the same problem as in v10 ( I have described previously)
There still seems to be some issue with radio2 on the nodes.

And regarding v11 of the OFDM, the one node that cannot be programmed( although is says programming suceeded) there is nothing at the serial port on teraterm. The ethernet leds dont glow, neither does the display or any user leds.

#33 2008-Sep-09 16:35:52

murphpo
Administrator

Reference design 10 had a bug (mentioned above, described in detail here) that effectively disables one radio board per node.

We fixed this bug and improved a lot of  things in v11 (see the changelog); it's definitely the better design to get started with. Were you using the download.bit included in the reference design zip file, or a locally compiled version?

#34 2008-Sep-09 18:07:06

abishek

I am using the design as is (the bitsream in the implementation folder).
I have not opened the project in XPS or tried to generate the bitstream on my machine.

What about the radios in slot 2 even in version 09?

#35 2008-Sep-10 09:06:05

murphpo
Administrator

abishek wrote:

What about the radios in slot 2 even in version 09?

A hardware problem could explain the issue, but your previous WARPLab results were inconsistent with these OFDM results. My understanding was you were going to double check the WARPLab tests in case a couple of paths had gotten mixed up.

Board footer