WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Jul-29 09:46:43

UOIT_Wireless

How to setup a warplab

Dear Administrator

I have a few basic questions about the WARPLab in the Physical Layer section

1-Should I download the bit stream into two WARPs BEFORE I connect them both to a switch? Or the bit stream downloading has to be THROUGH the Ethernet connection?

2-When I open Impact, I see two devices. should I BYPASS the first and just  download the bit stream into the second? Or I should do something with the first one too?

What I do is I connect the WARPs to my PC through a USB and a serial Cable and download the bit stream into them ONE BY ONE when they are connected to a switch as well (along with the PC) . Then I try to run the MATLAB functions (The GUI or the examples) of version 2 SISO communication.

3- I keep getting the "NO AKC received, connection timeout" message. What have I done wrong? as far as I could get through, the "pnet" function returns this error.

Thank you in advance

Veria

#2 2008-Jul-29 11:22:45

murphpo
Administrator

Re: How to setup a warplab

1) The order of downloading the bitstream and connecting Ethernet isn't important. Bitstreams are downloaded either via an external JTAG cable, via a USB cable (connected to the FPGA board's USB port) or a CompactFlash card. Currently it is not possible to download via Ethernet.

2) You should see two devices - XCCACE and XC2VP70. Always bypass the XCCACE (this is the SystemACE CF chip that handles configuration from a CompactFlash card; it's on the JTAG chain, but you can't download anything to it). The .bit files we provide (and that you build) are always for the XC2VP70.

3) Have you set the DIP switches on the two nodes- one to zero (0000), one to 1 (0001)? After downloading the bitstreams, the hex displays on the FPGA boards should show a single digit- 1 or 2. This digit is the last octet of the board's IP address (10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2).

Have you set your PC's IP address to 10.0.0.200?

After downloading the bitstream to a kit and connecting everything via Ethernet, try pinging the kit from the PC ('ping 10.0.0.1'). If there's no response, something isn't setup correctly, and WARPLab will definitely not work.

#3 2008-Jul-29 13:09:28

UOIT_Wireless

Thank you.

I guess the problem was that I didn't program both correctly.
Now I can ping them both and the MATLAB files are working properly.

Just some times (not that frequent) I get the "NO ACK" again and what I need to do, is to go and ping them again and then run the MATLAB file. It works well after I ping the two WARPS again.

Can this be due to the socket be still busy from the previous program, or not properly closed?

#4 2008-Jul-29 13:40:52

murphpo
Administrator

We get the occasional "NO ACK" errors too. The current network interface for WARPLab is very "all or nothing". If a packet gets lost along the way, you generally have to start the script over. This is why we recommend having just the PC and WARP nodes on a dedicated switch, to avoid any unnecessary (and unrelated) traffic on the network.

When we get the "NO ACK" error, it's usually enough to stop execution of the current WARPLab script (or close the GUI) and run "pnet('closeall')" on the MATLAB command line. This will close any stale sockets (pnet may print a warning about getting unloaded).

Board footer