WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Aug-04 08:43:52

Edlmann

Ethernet Connection not coming up

Hi,

we are currently trying to connect a Warp V3 Board with an arduino over Ethernet (using the Ethernet Shield 2 http://www.arduino.org/products/shields … t-shield-2).

While this should not be a problem, what we are currently observing is the following:
1.) Both ETH-Ports of our Warp Implementation (which was based from version 1.5 of the Reference Design) can connect fine to any PC/Switch we have tried so far (as long as the fixed, hardcoded speed matches)
2.) Connecting the Ethernet shield to a switch/PC works fine aswell
3.) Once we however directly connect the Arduino to one of the WARP Ethernet ports, no connection is made. On WARP side, all 3 Indicator lights stay lit up (2x red, 1x green), and on arduino side no indicator lights light up (which indicates no connection at all). As a consequence, nothing can be transmitted.
This behaviour stays the same, independent of defined ETH-Speed (10/100/1000 MBit)
4.) Running the 1.7.0 Reference Bitstreams, we observe the same behaviour + no connection.

Our guess so far is that this is caused by the rather static Ethernet configuration utilized in the xaxiethernet module. However, we don't know which additional configuration parameters we could try apart from the speed.

Do you know what could cause this + what additional configuration we could try?

Thanks

#2 2017-Aug-04 09:44:01

chunter
Administrator

Re: Ethernet Connection not coming up

My guess is that you need to use an Ethernet crossover cable to connect v3 directly to the Arduino. Most modern devices like the switch you are using perform auto-crossover. v3 does not and I suspect that the Arduino also does not. You can pick up a crossover cable or a crossover adaptor for pretty cheap.

#3 2017-Aug-04 10:11:27

Edlmann

Of course...thanks chunter, that will be it. Got way to used to devices supporting auto crossover to even think about that.

#4 2017-Aug-08 03:40:23

hubmun

Hey,

did you try a crossover cable? Was it successful?

#5 2017-Sep-02 05:25:45

Edlmann

hubmun wrote:

Hey,

did you try a crossover cable? Was it successful?

Sorry for the late answer. Yes, a crossover cable fixed it. The Arduino Ethernet shield V1 supports auto MDI-X, while V2 doesn't due to using a different ETH-chip.

Last edited by Edlmann (2017-Sep-02 05:26:58)

#6 2017-Sep-02 07:28:48

hubmun

Hey, thanks. It also worked for me. Actually i also had to set the ETH speed to 100. 1000 doesnt work when connecting it to rpi 3.

Board footer