WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Dec-05 08:48:44

Gengshan Wang

WARP MIMO Demo hardware requirement

I'm a newer on WARP. I want to do some research on the full-duplex wireless communication and I need to do some experiment about 2*2 MIMO.  If I want to establish a 2*2 MIMO prototype using WARP, do I need the WARP, FMC-RF-2x245 and CM-PLL modules? Is the CM-PLL module necessary? Besides the three modules,  do I need other modules?

Thank you for your time and reply.

#2 2017-Dec-05 09:46:57

murphpo
Administrator

Re: WARP MIMO Demo hardware requirement

The WARP v3 board integrates the FPGA and 2 RF interfaces. Each RF interface is half-duplex (transmit or receive, but not Tx+Rx at the same time). Thus, to build a 2x2 MIMO link (2 Tx antennas, 2 Rx antennas) you need two WARP v3 nodes.

The FMC-RF-2X245 module implements two additional RF interfaces. A node built with WARP v3 + FMC-RF-2X245 implements 4 RF interfaces. This is a good setup for building a 4-antenna node (i.e. 4x4 MIMO with two 4-antenna nodes).

The CM-PLL module allows multiple WARP v3 nodes to share a frequency reference. This is required when building multi-node arrays (i.e. 8-antenna array using two 4-antenna nodes). The CM-PLL is not required in applications where nodes can use their on-board frequency references (i.e. 2x2 MIMO with two 2-antenna nodes, each operating independently).

Full-duplex is more complicated. Each RF interface is half-duplex. Thus, if you want to build a 1x1 full-duplex link you would need two nodes, each with two RF interfaces (1 Tx, 1 Rx interface per node). You could use two WARP v3 kits for this. To build a 2x2 full-duplex link  you would need two 4-antenna nodes. Depending on your full-duplex design, you might need more RF interfaces (i.e. some full-duplex schemes require active cancellation using extra RF transmitters at each node).

#3 2017-Dec-05 18:57:33

Gengshan Wang

Than you for the replay.
I want to consider only one full-duplex node. The 1x1 full-duplex node uses one chain of WARP for transmitting data and the other chain for receiving data at the same time. And 2x2 full-duplex node uses WARP+ FMC-RF-2X245, two of the chains for transmitting data and the other two chains for receiving data. Could this idea right and feasible? If I only want to use one node to do the full-duplex experiment about self-interference cancellation, is it feasible? Would you mind giving some advice on  hardware implementation of full-duplex wireless communication, like the Demo of Rice University?

Thank you very much.

#4 2017-Dec-06 10:14:24

murphpo
Administrator

The 1x1 full-duplex node uses one chain of WARP for transmitting data and the other chain for receiving data at the same time. And 2x2 full-duplex node uses WARP+ FMC-RF-2X245, two of the chains for transmitting data and the other two chains for receiving data. Could this idea right and feasible?

Yes, these are the minimum configurations for a 1-antenna or 2-antenna full-duplex node. You may need more RF interfaces depending on your full-duplex scheme.

For example, the Rice full duplex experiments used active, RF self-interference cancellation. Extra RF interfaces were configured as "cancellation" transmitters to reduce self-interference at RF. You can read more details in [http://warpproject.org/trac/wiki/Projects/Rice_FullDuplex]the Rice Full Duplex writeup[/url]. Melissa Duarte wrote that after finishing her thesis; her thesis (link on that page) has even more details of the experimental setup.

#5 2017-Dec-06 20:53:53

Gengshan Wang

OK, I know what I should buy to do the experiment. Thank you very much for the reply.

Board footer