WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Aug-12 09:20:58

moodo

Modify code

Hi, if I modify one of your Reference Design, e.g. some lines of the warpmac.c, is it enough to press "Generate Linker Script" & "Update Bitstream", that the download.bit file is now the one of my version?

#2 2008-Aug-12 09:56:43

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Modify code

Yeah, that's all you need to do. The first time you run Update Bitstream after unzipping the XPS project, it will rebuild the full hardware design. This is unfortunate, but we haven't found a way to distribute EDK projects that avoids the rebuild. After building the hardware once, you can iterate on software changes quickly.

#3 2008-Aug-12 10:03:02

moodo

Ok...thanks!

But another question:
If I use something like xil_printf("......") it must be displayed in TeraTerm, do you have an idea what the problem could be, if it doesn't so?

#4 2008-Aug-12 10:29:01

murphpo
Administrator

Do you see any output on the serial port on boot?

#5 2008-Aug-12 10:31:57

moodo

yes but its always the output of the project I downloaded yesterday, so I asked the question before with the download.bit file. I will try to compile and download it once.....

#6 2008-Aug-12 10:43:23

moodo

there is no difference, is maybe teraterm the false program for reading out the seriel interface? And this time I got also two errors:

ERROR:Pack:2310 - Too many comps of type "BSCAN" found to fit this device.
ERROR:Map:115 - The design is too large to fit the device.  Please check the
   Design Summary section to see which resource requirement for your design
   exceeds the resources available in the device.  In particular check the
   non-slice resources since the slice counts may reflect the early termination
   of the flow.

Any idea?

#7 2008-Aug-12 17:38:11

murphpo
Administrator

BSCAN is an FPGA resource related to the internal configuration logic. You can only have one BSCAN in a design. The OFDM reference design instantiates one (in the ICON used in the ChipScope Sysgen block). You must have added some hardware to the base project- another ICON or the ICAP. Try removing it, or reverting to the base reference design.

#8 2008-Aug-13 08:03:50

moodo

ok thanks, I'll check!

Another question: if I configure SW and HW in XPS it takes about 30min. Is there a possibility to just compile the SW project in XPS?

#9 2008-Aug-13 08:38:34

murphpo
Administrator

The hardware generation process generally takes a long time, and takes longer with more complex designs. The full OFDM reference design, for example, requires 60+ minutes to build from scratch on a fast machine.

But once the hardware builds, you can iterate on just software (as long as you don't make any hardware changes). Software compilation takes a few seconds. XPS automatically decides which flow to execute each time you Update Bitstream; it monitors the MHS/MSS/UCF/C/H files to determine whether HW/SW changes have occurred and starts the flow at the right spot.

Board footer