WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-Jun-10 15:36:42

liuruofeng

Retrieve Real-Time RSSI value

I am currently trying to modify the WARPLAB firmware (C code) to implement a simple CSMA/CA mechanism.  This requires real-time RSSI samples every 9 us in the middle of reception. However, it turns out RSSI values in the RSSI buffer will not be updated util the reception is completed. In specific, the rssi values in wl_rssi_buff_a are stale util the reception is finished.

Is there anyway in the WARPLAB firmware I can read the real-time instantaneous RSSI value from the RF radio?

btw, I also try trigger the RX every 9us with rx_length = 360 (9us). But it terms out the time gaps for enabling RX is as large as 70us.

THX

#2 2018-Jun-12 09:26:41

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Retrieve Real-Time RSSI value

The ADC which digitizes the RSSI signal runs continuously at 10MSps. The WARPLab Reference Design connects this 10-bit digital RSSI signal to 3 cores in the WARPLab reference design - the AGC, Buffers, and Trigger Processor (follow the warplab_rfa_rssi signal in system.mhs).

None of these cores implements a software-accessible register with the raw RSSI value. You will need to modify the hardware design if you need this functionality. I would suggest modifying the Trigger Processor core (warplab_trigger_proc source) to create a new trigger source based on your CSMA logic.

#3 2018-Jun-13 17:24:16

liuruofeng

Hi murphpo,

I see. Thanks so much for the reply.
I am currently planning to expose the RSSI value by implementing a software-accessible register with the raw RSSI value and put the csma logic into C.
However, I am completely new to FPGA. Could you suggest any example (of adding a register with external input) that I can follow?
Thanks again!

#4 2018-Jun-14 14:58:22

murphpo
Administrator

Our getting started tutorials for WARP v3 are a good resource for this.

The basic steps would be:
-Modify one of the System Generator cores
  -Add a new From (software-read-only) register
  -Update EDK Processor block
  -Increment pcore version number
  -Export new pcore
-Update XPS project
  -Update HW_VER for pcore to new version
  -Rebuild hardware design (Generate Bitstream)
  -Export new hardware to SDK
-Update C code
  -Add your new C code that implements some functionality around the new register

Board footer