WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-Dec-18 06:08:08

chenhongwei

question of how to trace the ethernet frame that will be encapsulated

ask for help.
if i wired connected my laptops to the EHA of the board and use computer generating package to the board(set the board as AP mode),now ,i want to make sure whether the received ethernet frame will be transported to radio for wireless transmisson.
how to make sure the board successfully receive ethernet frame and transport them to transmit ?

i hope for help

#2 2018-Dec-18 09:12:01

chunter
Administrator

Re: question of how to trace the ethernet frame that will be encapsulated

The Ethernet encapsulation procedure will result in transmissions the following way:

Encapsulation at AP:
* An Ethernet frames containing an IP payload whose destination MAC address matches the wireless address of an associated STA will result in a unicast DATA packet being enqueued and transmitted
* An Ethernet frames containing an IP payload whose destination MAC address is multicast will result in a multicast DATA  being enqueued and transmitted

Encapsulation at STA:
* An Ethernet frame containing an IP payloads (regardless of destination MAC address) will result in a unicast DATA packet being enqueued and transmitted to the AP the STA is associated with.

Encapculsation at IBSS:
* An Ethernet frames containing an IP payload will result in a DATA packet being enqueued and transmitted to the destination MAC addressed of the Ethernet frame

As long as the packets you are trying to send meet the above criteria, they will be transmitted (also with the caveat that the queue is not full which would force the node to drop packets). To verify this is working, Wireshark is a powerful tool. You can get a pretty full picture of what is going on by running three instances of Wireshark:

1. At the Ethernet source so you can see the packets your computer is creating
2. A wireless computer running Wireshark in monitor node so it can see the encapsulated 802.11 frames that the Mango 802.11 design is producing
3. At the Ethernet sink after decapsulation.

With that set up, you can trace a single packet through its entire life. This is made even easier with packets that have easily identifiable payloads like incrementing sequence numbers.

#3 2018-Dec-19 06:11:20

chenhongwei

thank for your reply!
am i only need to set static IP address for my computer and connect my computer with V3 board(by ethernet),the package can be sent to V3(programmming in my commuter to sent package)? whether i need a ethernet swich in this situation?
wish for your reply!

Last edited by chenhongwei (2018-Dec-19 06:12:22)

#4 2018-Dec-19 09:15:51

chunter
Administrator

chenhongwei wrote:

am i only need to set static IP address for my computer and connect my computer with V3 board(by ethernet),the package can be sent to V3(programmming in my commuter to sent package)? whether i need a ethernet swich in this situation?

The Mango 802.11 design doesn't care about IP addresses. The portal only cares about the MAC addresses of the frames and whether or not the frame is using the IP or ARP protocols (anything else is rejected). Whether you need to set a static IP address depends on what you want to do. Here are a couple of valid configurations

* A single computer plugged into an IBSS node and a single computer plugged into another IBSS node with both computers having static IP addresses set by you.
* A single computer plugged into an STA node and a single computer plugged into an AP node with both computers having static IP addresses set by you.
* A single computer plugged into a STA node without static addresses (i.e. DHCP is enabled on the computer). An AP node plugged into a router that is connected to the internet. This would allow the single computer to access the internet just like any other commercial AP (with a couple of caveats if you are on a heavily managed university or corporate network)

#5 2018-Dec-19 22:37:14

chenhongwei

thank you ! your advice well usefully for we!

Board footer