WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Oct-05 10:50:54

livekth

hardware setup for channel measurement

Hello,

I'm planning to measure channel responses using two WARP boards and WARPLab. Do I have to have an ethernet connection between two WARP boards in any case? Because this makes me difficult to put them at different locations, I'd like to set up two desktops and attach one board to one desktop. In this case, is there anyway to measure the channels without the ethernet connection?

Thank you.

Tae Hyun

#2 2008-Oct-05 13:31:18

murphpo
Administrator

Re: hardware setup for channel measurement

The current WARPLab implementation requires a single PC controlling multiple WARP nodes, all on a common Ethernet switch (WARPLab relies on a broadcast Ethernet frame to trigger Tx/Rx cycles at each node). We've done some WARPLab experiments with widely spaced nodes using a long Ethernet cable, which is probably your best option in the short term.

#3 2008-Oct-06 21:24:23

livekth

Thanks for the answer. I have one more question (actually have a lot, but let me do one by one :-)

I setup two WARP nodes and download the bitstream (ver3) to both nodes.
I first turned on one board, launched iMPACT and left clicked the right chip
(2nd chip on the GUI) and run 'Program.' Then I turned off that board, closed
iMPACT, turned on the other and did the same thing as the first one.

I'm just wondering if this is the best way. If I have 10 WARP nodes, then
do I need to launch iMPACT and close it for 10 times?

Just curious.. hard to find something extremely basic for handling the boards :-)
Sorry for my ignorance.

Tae Hyun

Last edited by livekth (2008-Oct-06 21:29:07)

#4 2008-Oct-07 12:37:38

murphpo
Administrator

A few things:

-If you turn off a board, the FPGA will lose its configuration. You can safely program the FPGA then disconnect the JTAG/USB cable, but if you turn off the board you'll have to re-program the FPGA.

-You can use the CompactFlash card to quickly program the FPGA without having to connect the board to JTAG/USB. You program the flash card using iMPACT (in SystemACE CF mode). iMPACT's documentation should describe the process of programming a CF card using your own .bit file.

Board footer