WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Mar-17 16:35:37

zrcao

MGT Cable Link invalid

The link about the MGT cable in the end of page http://warp.rice.edu/trac/wiki/Hardware … _v1.2/MGTs is no longer valid. And I could find the HSDDC2-HSDDC2 on the Molex website.

Is it possible to update that? Thanks.

#2 2009-Mar-17 20:06:55

murphpo
Administrator

Re: MGT Cable Link invalid

Thanks for the heads up. I updated the page with a working Molex link (http://www.molex.com/molex/products/dat … Lang=en-US)

#3 2010-Oct-29 10:31:55

kj

Has anyone had any luck sourcing these cables in small quantities in the UK, Europe or USA, and from where if so?  Thanks..

#4 2011-May-17 13:18:44

Jettank

Hello, Murphpo, I have a question about the communications between FPGA boards. If I want to pass some data between FPGA boards, say 1000 bytes per second, via which interface is easier to do the job, digital I/O or MGT? If I want to use the MGT interface, should I use Aurora and then use core generator? I am new in this front. Could you briefly point out the necessary processes? Many thanks!

#5 2011-May-17 19:11:18

murphpo
Administrator

We have very little experience using the MGTs, and what experience we had was pretty frustrating. Aurora is definitely an option, and it's the closest Xilinx has ever come to making the MGTs usable in a custom design. If you decide to use them, you'll need to study all the Virtex-4 MGT documentation from Xilinx (RocketIO user guide for starters).

If possible, I'd suggest you explore using Ethernet, which will have no problem carrying 1KB/sec of traffic (it can actually carry nearly 1Gb/sec, depending how you implement the packet processing). You could also use UART or the FPGA Board debug pins, either of which could handle 1KB/sec.

#6 2011-May-18 15:08:50

Jettank

Thanks. Just want to confirm with you, I have tested it with Ethernet, and it can support communications between boards.

Board footer