WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Apr-14 11:22:56

Amir

Radio board in slot 1 problem

I have a design where I tx/rx from 4 radio boards sitting in 4 daughtercard slots (not necessarily simultaneously). The design worked under reference design v08 without any apparent problems. Recently, I ported the design to reference design v11.2 but I'm facing some issues. Basically all radio boards tx/rx as expected except the one located in slot 1. In tx mode, this radio board does not tx in full power. I tried to set the tx power through software (setting the VGA/RF value to 0x3f) but still the board transmits at less power compared to all the other three boards.

In rx mode, the signals coming out of the ADC of this board are much smaller than all the other three boards which results in very high AGC gains. Yet with the highest AGC gain of 92, the input to the ofdm core is still way below those of the other 3 radios. Now the surprising part is that this problem goes away if I control the AGC gains of radio1 through software (doesn't matter if all the other 3 radios are SW or HW controlled).

I have tried swapping the radios and WARP nodes but I'm still getting the same result. BTW, I have modified the ucf, mhs and mss files accordingly to enable all four radio boards/bridges as I did with reference design v08. The radio card constraints in the ucf file correspond to those of the 4x4 WARPLAB.

All of this makes me wonder if there have been any hardware changes (e.g., in the radio controller) that could have led to this as I did not have this issue (at least at rx side) with Reference design v08.

Thanks.

#2 2009-Apr-15 10:14:37

Amir

Re: Radio board in slot 1 problem

After lots of debugging, it seems that the root of the Tx problem lies in one of our radio cards (the Rx problem is still independent of the card used in slot 1 and that's what prompted us to look for HW changes between the reference designs).

Basically, one of our radio cards transmits at a very low power level (even though the code sets it for maximum RF tx power) and the signal coming out of its ADC during reception is also somewhat lower than the other cards leading to a higher total AGC gain (e.g. 40 vs. 25 for other three radios). Would it be possible to send the card in for inspection?

Thanks.

#3 2009-Apr-15 10:50:46

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Radio board in slot 1 problem

Definitely, though the logistics will depend on whether the radio came from Rice or Mango. I'll follow up offline.

Board footer