WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Jun-01 19:47:01

showchou

Failed to load data to board

When the power is turned on , one chip the FPGA board becomes hotter and hotter.
And when I inserted the Sd card, data failed to be loaded to the board.

The model for the chip is LT1963AET, after searching the website of linear technology, I got to know that this chip works as a LDO regulator.

Can you help me how should I fix this issue?

I am really looking forward to having your reply.

Thanks

Last edited by showchou (2009-Jun-01 19:59:38)

#2 2009-Jun-01 20:31:15

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Failed to load data to board

Which LT1963 is it? I'm guessing U7, the 2.5v LDO in the middle of the board (near the user LEDs).

Does it get considerably hotter than the same part on other boards? Check for debris on both sides of the board; a short across one of the 2.5v bypass caps could overload the regulator.

What was the failure when loading a program from the CF card- red error LED near the CF card or green LED but no FPGA activity?

What's the FPGA board serial number (from the sticker in the bottom-left, starting with WFV2P-)?

#3 2009-Jun-01 21:19:33

showchou

murphpo wrote:

Which LT1963 is it? I'm guessing U7, the 2.5v LDO in the middle of the board (near the user LEDs).

Does it get considerably hotter than the same part on other boards? Check for debris on both sides of the board; a short across one of the 2.5v bypass caps could overload the regulator.

What was the failure when loading a program from the CF card- red error LED near the CF card or green LED but no FPGA activity?

What's the FPGA board serial number (from the sticker in the bottom-left, starting with WFV2P-)?

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Yes, the high temperature is really abnormal, because I have other boards which are also running, and after a comparison, the degree of hotness is unacceptable.

And the abnormal LT1963A is U7, the 2.5V LDO in the middle of the board.

I have only red error LEC near the CF card, and the fan on the board works ok.

The serial number is WFV2P-1.2-00031

#4 2009-Jun-01 21:47:57

murphpo
Administrator

U7 supplies VCC_AUX, which powers a lot of the FPGA's clocking logic. If this supply isn't 2.5v, the FPGA will definitely not work.

Since the board was sold by Rice 2+ years ago, it isn't covered by any warranty. That leaves two choices-

1) You can arrange for testing and repair through Mango Communications (email support@mangocomm.com).

2) You can try some more debugging and repair locally; a few things to try:
  -Double-check for any debris on both sides of the board
  -Using a multimeter (or oscilloscope), measure the output of each voltage suppy. There are red testpoints for each supply on the board. The terminal in the bottom-right corner (J39) is ground for all voltages. See the FPGA board users guide for the details.
  -Check the resistance across the two tantalum capacitors (C18, C19) near U7. They're the yellow (maybe black) caps in the "2.5v supply" region in this image. They should both show at least 1kohm across their terminals.
  -If the caps aren't shorted, and the other voltage regulators are working, you can try replacing U7. Digikey sells the LT1963AET (adj. TO-220) in small quantities.

#5 2009-Jun-01 22:48:27

showchou

murphpo wrote:

U7 supplies VCC_AUX, which powers a lot of the FPGA's clocking logic. If this supply isn't 2.5v, the FPGA will definitely not work.

Since the board was sold by Rice 2+ years ago, it isn't covered by any warranty. That leaves two choices-

1) You can arrange for testing and repair through Mango Communications (email support@mangocomm.com).

-Using a multimeter (or oscilloscope), measure the output of each voltage suppy. There are red testpoints for each supply on the board. The terminal in the bottom-right corner (J39) is ground for all voltages. See the FPGA board users guide for the details.
  -Check the resistance across the two tantalum capacitors (C18, C19) near U7. They're the yellow (maybe black) caps in the "2.5v supply" region in this image. They should both show at least 1kohm across their terminals.
  -If the caps aren't shorted, and the other voltage regulators are working, you can try replacing U7. Digikey sells the LT1963AET (adj. TO-220) in small quantities.

Thank so much again for your response.

I will try to use multimeter to debug myself first, and hope I can figure out what happened.

By the way, could you please give me any hint about what may be the reason that caused the hot chip issue on my board, and I can avoid such errors in the future.

#6 2009-Jun-01 23:01:48

murphpo
Administrator

We've never seen this issue before, so I don't know for sure. I'd guess something shorted 2.5v to GND; it could be something conductive on/under the board touching the wrong pins, or a component failure (like a cap burning up, and shorting out).

#7 2009-Jun-16 13:01:48

showchou

murphpo wrote:

thanks so much

for the redpoints test, do I need to turn on the power?
because as long as the power is turned on, the U7 becomes very very hot;

Also, we have test C19 and C18, C19 shows about 1Kohm, but C18 displays 0 ohm.

Thanks again for all your suggestions

#8 2009-Jun-16 13:20:25

murphpo
Administrator

showchou wrote:

for the redpoints test, do I need to turn on the power

Yes, definitely. The test points allow you to measure the voltage of each supply, but only when they're actually powered on.

showchou wrote:

C18 displays 0 ohm

That's evidence of a short between 2.5v and GND. The short could be any of the multiple caps between those planes (C18, C384, etc.; see the schematics for them all) or in U7 or in the FPGA. I'd suggest inspecting the caps first. If one failed (and shorted), the damage may be visible. The tantalum (bigger yellow or black) caps are the most likely; the ceramic (small brown) caps are less so.

#9 2009-Jun-16 13:26:00

showchou

Our testing result is:
C19: 0.8k ohm,  this capacitor works as a Cin and has a 3.3V at power on.
C18: 0.4 - 0.5 ohm, this capacitor works as a Cout and should be shorted. Because the voltage of C18 is 70mV at power on.

Then the voltage of testpoint tp4 is 70mV when power is on. The TP4 should be 2.5 V when power is on.
And we also test the TP5 = 1.5v , TP6 = 3.3v , TP7 = 5v. These three points seems working fine because of reference voltage from the board.

D14 seems not good. Because of the votlage over D14 is only 70mV when power is on. Diode conduction voltage should not be so small.

Other resistances are ok by now.

Do you have any suggestions for our local dignosis? We really appreciate that. Thank you so much

#10 2009-Jun-16 13:28:18

showchou

murphpo wrote:

showchou wrote:

Yes, definitely. The test points allow you to measure the voltage of each supply, but only when they're actually powered on.

showchou wrote:

C18 displays 0 ohm

That's evidence of a short between 2.5v and GND. The short could be any of the multiple caps between those planes (C18, C384, etc.; see the schematics for them all) or in U7 or in the FPGA. I'd suggest inspecting the caps first. If one failed (and shorted), the damage may be visible. The tantalum (bigger yellow or black) caps are the most likely; the ceramic (small brown) caps are less so.

Thank you so much for your immediate reply. Where can I obtian the schematics?

#11 2009-Jun-16 13:35:51

murphpo
Administrator

#12 2009-Jun-16 13:36:10

showchou

showchou wrote:

murphpo wrote:

showchou wrote:

showchou wrote:

C18 displays 0 ohm

Thank you so much for your immediate reply. Where can I obtian the schematics?

Thanks , I have already found it online, http://warp.rice.edu/trac/wiki/Hardware … chematics, right?

#13 2009-Jun-16 13:37:26

murphpo
Administrator

Also, I forgot to mention the short could also be due to foreign material on the board, bridging the pins of any of the caps between 2.5v and GND.

#14 2009-Jun-16 13:37:54

showchou

Many many thanks,

Should I replace the C18 first, and then check out whether others work ok, or do I need also replace
D14?

Last edited by showchou (2009-Jun-16 13:43:40)

#15 2009-Jun-16 13:50:36

murphpo
Administrator

It's impossible to measure for the short, since all of the corresponding pins of all the caps are connected together (all should measure 0 ohms, even if only one component has failed). I'd visually inspect each part first.

#16 2009-Jun-16 14:09:01

showchou

murphpo wrote:

It's impossible to measure for the short, since all of the corresponding pins of all the caps are connected together (all should measure 0 ohms, even if only one component has failed). I'd visually inspect each part first.

thanks again for your reply, I am a little confuzed about it.

We have checked the resistance across the two tantalum capacitors: C18 and C19;

For C19, the result show 0.8Kohm;
but for C18, it shows 0.4-0.5ohm,
So we conjecture something wrong happens on C18, is that right?

#17 2009-Jun-16 14:13:02

murphpo
Administrator

The two terminals on C18 are connected to 2.5v and GND. Many other pins on the board are connected to the same nets (many caps, the U7 regulator, the FPGA VCC_AUX pins, etc.). There is a short between those two nets, but you can't determine its location with just resistance measurements.

#18 2009-Jun-16 14:20:26

showchou

murphpo wrote:

The two terminals on C18 are connected to 2.5v and GND. Many other pins on the board are connected to the same nets (many caps, the U7 regulator, the FPGA VCC_AUX pins, etc.). There is a short between those two nets, but you can't determine its location with just resistance measurements.

Thank you su much.

ln this case, how can we determine which cap is shorted, which cap is failed?

#19 2009-Jun-16 14:31:00

murphpo
Administrator

If it's a failed cap (which is only one possibility), you may be able to see it (its case could be cracked or burned). Failing that, it would require removing them one-by-one. If it comes to that, I'd start with U7, then the big caps, then the small caps.

Board footer