WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-Mar-11 16:23:01

riveridea

Invalid emac_instname TriMode_MAC_GMII for WARPxilnet lib

I am trying to integrate the libarary WARPxilnet to the current OFDM reference design to work with the TriMode_MAC_GMIIwhich is the ethernet core defined in the system.mss and mhs.
However I met the error when I build the correspoding exported SDK project.  The emac_instname parameter of the  is set as TriMode_MAC_GMII, in the xxx.mss file.

Code:

BEGIN DRIVER
 PARAMETER DRIVER_NAME = lltemac
 PARAMETER DRIVER_VER = 1.00.b
 PARAMETER HW_INSTANCE = TriMode_MAC_GMII
END

BEGIN LIBRARY
 PARAMETER LIBRARY_NAME = WARPxilnet
 PARAMETER LIBRARY_VER = 2.00.a
 PARAMETER PROC_INSTANCE = ppc405_0
 PARAMETER emac_instname = TriMode_MAC_GMII
END

but the TriMode_MAC_GMII is regarded as invalid emac_instname when I build the whole software project.

Also, I checked the mld file for WARPxilnet, it has such definition:

Code:

PARAM name = emac_instname, desc = "Name of Emac instance to be used with WARP/xilnet", type = peripheral_instance, range = (none, opb_ethernet, plb_ethernet, opb_ethernetlite, xps_ethernetlite), default = none;

So I tried to add the TriMode_MAC_GMII to the emac_instname range, however, the error is still there.

I really feel confused why the TriMode_MAC_GMII is not recognized as correct value, even it is real ethernet core name in my XPS project.

#2 2011-Mar-11 18:00:48

riveridea

Re: Invalid emac_instname TriMode_MAC_GMII for WARPxilnet lib

Is it possible that the xilnet only support the EMAC, but not TEMAC? I see that the libaray Lwip support TEMAC, any friends have the related mld and tcl files?

#3 2011-Mar-12 03:31:23

murphpo
Administrator

xilnet doesn't support the TEMAC, only plb_ethernet and plb_ethernetlite (and plb_ethernet was never ported to plbv46, so it's not available in 10.1). This is discussed in the xilnet docs.

lwip will work with the TEMAC, but we haven't tried it. I'm not sure what your application is; if you're looking for a way to control/monitor nodes, I'd suggest WARPnet.

#4 2011-Mar-13 16:16:59

riveridea

i just want to implement an SOCKET Client on WARP board, which can open/connect/close a socket communicating with the PC server, based on the current OFDM_Reference design.
I did not see any IP/UDP/TCP libary is integrated into the WARPnet. How do you implemente the Socket communication between the WARP board and the WARPnet Server?

#5 2011-Mar-13 18:16:16

riveridea

I add the lwip lib to the MSS file and the sw_services, however, the SDK reports such error when rebuilding the project:

Code:

ERROR:EDK:3193 - issued from TCL procedure "::sw_lwip130_v1_00_a::lwip_drc" line
    lwip130 () - No Ethernet MAC cores are addressable from processor ppc405_0. 
   lwIP requires atleast one EMAC (xps_ethernetlite | xps_ll_temac) core  with
   its interrupt pin connected to the interrupt controller.

I searched this errror in the internet, some friends solved this problem by add the connection for the interrupt of the TEMAC core to the interrupt controller, by modifying the MHS file like:
PORT TemacIntc0_Irpt = phy0_TemacIntc0_Irpt

Till now, I found that there is no interrupt controller in the current OFDM Reference design and all the interrupt pin of the IP core are set as no connection. It really confuses me that how these core, like ethernet core or uart core can work properly if no interrupt signal is provided to the Powerpc?

#6 2011-Mar-13 21:37:08

riveridea

It is noticed that there is a xps_ll_fifo is used to store the ethernet packets from the ethernet core. The current MAC software just poll the peripherials by reading the RDFO registers to determine if there are available packets.
If so, I think the integration of the Lwip library would be not as easy as expected as the lwip lib requires the interrupt pin is connected to the interrupt controller. I need to modify the hardware to enable the interrupt mode of the ethernet core.

Board footer