WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-May-19 02:00:09

Mark

about the packet location on RX node

Sir, I am doing a project based on WARP LAB7.5.1. What I want to do is to move IFFT from MATLAB to FPGA on WARP Board to reduce the latency.
Now my first question is where the packet is stored after the node gets the packet through Ethernet(WARP LAB Reference design7.5.1).
Another one is that whether I could apply for a memory space to store the temporary data.
The third one is that whether I could hook my IFFT to the core 128bit AXI 160MHz bus. If I could, where can I download the reference
documents about the bus protocol?

Thank you very much.

#2 2015-May-19 08:01:57

murphpo
Administrator

Re: about the packet location on RX node

The best place to start with this customization is to directly modify the w3_warplab_buffers.mdl core. The source model is in the repository: /ResearchApps/PHY/WARPLAB/WARPLab7/Sysgen_Reference/w3/warplab_buffers.

The w3_warplab_buffers.mdl core implements the interface between the ADCs and sample buffers, and between the sample buffers and DACs. In the reference design the core does not implement any signal processing in either direction. If your application requires taking an FFT of all received samples, you can modify the w3_warplab_buffers pipeline to be ADC->FFT->sample buffers. Then when your m code retrieves samples via the usual WARPLab commands, it will receive the output of your pipeline (i.e. the FFT of the ADC samples), instead of the raw samples stored in the ref design.

If you are not familiar with the System Generator / XPS design flow, please start with our tutorials. These exercises introduce the same tools used by the WARPLab and 802.11 Reference Designs, using a much simpler design. Once you're comfortable with exporting a Sysgen core to XPS and re-building the XPS project, you can use this flow to iterate on a custom WARPLab design.

#3 2015-May-19 23:07:34

Mark

thank you very much.
Does that mean I needn't to change the c code?
If I modify the mdl, then compile it to HDL code and hook up to the PLB bus.
Then compile it in XPS to generate new .bit file.
In SDK , I combile the new .bit file with software in SDK to generate download.bit(which is converted to .bin file later)

Is that right?

Thank you again.

#4 2015-May-20 07:45:01

welsh
Administrator

Correct, you should not need to change the C code.  If you update the buffers core, then all of the processing will occur on the sample stream and should be completed before the information is placed in memory to be read out via Read IQ.

Your steps are basically correct.  A couple of notes:

1) Your updated warplab buffers pcore should have the same ports as the previous pcore (for WARP v3, we use the AXI bus standard vs the PLB bus standard).  So when you replace the warplab buffers pcore in the pcores folder of the EDK project, you should only need to update the revision number in the MHS file (I would make sure that you use a different revision number when updating the pcore so you are sure you are getting the correct one).  Basically, changing the revision number should be all the "hook up" you need to do.

2) You need to be careful that you don't alter the timing of control signals.  Please study how the warplab buffers core works in terms of addressing / IQ data storage.  If you delay the sample data in the pipeline due to additional processing, just understand that there will be some padding samples at the front of the buffer depending on the processing delay. 

3) Understand the debug capabilities of the warplab buffers pcore.  There are two main debug features in the core:  a) RX data generator; b) TX to RX data loopback.  You can see how to enable them in the wl_baseband.h header file.  Also, there is a "simulation" mode in the pcore (see w3_warplab_buffers_init.m) that allows you to easily configure register values to perform a simulation (just remember to make sure that simulation is set to 0 when generating your pcore).  These features are extremely useful for getting your pcore working.  The RX data generator uses a counter to generate fake RX data and the TX to RX data loopback allows you to have a "perfect" reception of the Tx waveform you set with Write IQ (i.e. since the data never goes through the RF ports, there is not modification of the data from Tx to Rx).

#5 2015-May-20 11:49:18

Mark

Thanks a lot.
What I understand is as follows:
1. change the revision number in MHS if possible. The line is like: " PARAMETER HW_VER = 3.01.c" (I am using WARPLAB7.5.1 now)
2. replace the warplab_buffers pcore with new one
3. Matlabe in pc removes the padding samples after receiving samples from RX node.
    Both the TX and RX nodes will produce padding samples due to the processing delay. The number of padding samples may be different between TX and RX node depening on the transceiver algorithm.

I have a few other questions:
(1)When this process occurs? Before the RX gets trigger command from PC or after the trigger command.
(2) Where is the data stored? In SYSTEM BRAM or DDR?
(3) I am afraid a few samples will be lost if they are stored in System BRAM before transmitting to RX node. For example,  the byte numbers will be beyond 128K bytes due to the padding when I download 32K samples to the TX node. Does that mean the last few samples will be lost(the number is equal to the padding number) if the I/Qs are stored in 128KB System BRAM.

#6 2015-May-20 13:35:18

welsh
Administrator

1)  The buffers core starts when it receives a pulse on "trigger_in".  This comes from the trigger manager and occurs after the TX/RX trigger is received.  The trigger input starts both the transmit and receive state machines. 

2)  For WARP v3, the data is stored in a tiered way (this is how we are able to increase the buffer sizes in WARPLab 7.5.x for WARP v3).  First, as you can see in the FPGA architecture, the warplab buffers core has direct access to BRAM blocks that it uses to temporarily read / store samples.  The TX / RX state machines generate CPU interrupts when the buffers reach a given threshold.  This causes the CPU to transfer the contents of the BRAM to the DDR where the actual buffer lives.

3)  I'm not quite sure I understand the issue.  The buffer that you create in Matlab that is pushed to the node via Write IQ has a 1-to-1 correspondence with the contents of the buffer on the node.  Regardless of the processing that you perform on the TX or RX stream of samples, the buffer that you pushed to the node to transmit will be the buffer processed by the core.  Now, depending on the amount of processing, there will be some number of samples at the beginning of the RX waveform that need to be ignored.  However, this is already the case in the current version of WARPLab given the delays in the RF frontend and the fact that most of the examples start the TX and RX state machines at the same time.  You will just need to ignore more samples in the beginning of the RX waveform.  Now, if your TX and RX buffers are the same size, you run into a situation where the tail end of the TX waveform is not caputred.  If this is the case, then you shouldn't put important data at the very end of the TX waveform.  However, one of the nice things you can do with WARPLab 7.5 is make your RX buffer much longer than your TX buffer so that you always capture the entire TX waveform.

#7 2015-May-22 02:41:18

Mark

thanks a lot.

I am trying to export w3_warplab_buffers as a pcore.
however, I've gotten Error: "unable to find available shared memory named 'TX_DELAY' "
How can I address it?

#8 2015-May-22 02:58:35

Mark

I am using ISE design suite 14.4.
In system generator, the parameters I choose is as follows:
Compilation: Export as a pcore to EDK
Part: Virtex6 xc6vlx240t-2ff1156
Sythesis tool: XST
Hardware description language: VHDL
Target directory: ./w3_warplab_buffers
Others: default

#9 2015-May-22 08:51:33

murphpo
Administrator

Did you run the model simulation (click the ">" button in Simulink) before attempting the pcore export?

The Sysgen model relies on variables set in the models init script. That script only runs when the simulation is initialized or started. If you only opened the .mdl file, then clicked Export, the script never ran and the export will fail.

In any case, you should definitely verify the functionality of any changes you make to the model in simulation first. You can inject arbitrary signals to the ADC gateways to mimic signals in hardware, and use a pulse input to mimic a trigger. The Sysgen+Simulink environment is great for rapidly iterating on a simulation without the very long export+build+test process using hardware.

#10 2015-Jul-01 01:37:27

Mark

I've added IFFT and FFT in the transmitting and receving side respectively and produced new system.bit file in the directory of "\implementation". What's the next step? (1) or (2)?
(1) copy system.bit file to "\SDK_Workspace\w3_WARPLab_EDK_4RF_v7.5.1_hw_platform", start SDK to generate a new linker script and download the design to the board.
(2) click "Export & Launch SDK." in XPS, and copy software from directories needed.

Thanks a lot.

#11 2015-Jul-01 08:17:03

murphpo
Administrator

You must use the Export flow from XPS to update the SDK workspace with the new hardware design. The hardware project in the SDK workspace consists of the system.bit file, the system.bmm file and the XML hardware description. These files must be in sync. The XPS Export flow is the best way to achieve this.

#12 2015-Jul-16 05:22:29

Mark

1. lack of some files in "*_bsp_0/microblaze_0/libsrc"
    When I tried to generate new BSP in SDK, I found that I miss some directories in directory "*_bsp_0/microblaze_0/libsrc" compared with reference design WARPv3_lab7.5.1

Code:

1. w3_warplab_agc_axiw_v_3_b
          2. w3_warplab_buffers_axiw_v3_01_c
          3. w3_warplab_trigger_proc_axiw_v1_04_b
          4. WARP_FPGA_BOARD_LIB_v2_20_a
          5. WARP_HW_VER_v3_10_a
          6. WARPxilnet_v3_04_a

2. An extra  file in "*_bsp_0/microblaze_0/libsrc"

Code:

1. generic_v1_00_a

3. The number of head file in "*_bsp_0/microblaze_0/include"
        There are only 70 items instead of 85 items.

[img]D:\xzha\EDK_problem.png[/img]

#13 2015-Jul-16 08:02:41

welsh
Administrator

It looks like you did not set up your Local Repositories correctly.  Please see Step 4 of the SDK instructions.  This should fix your driver issues for the WARPLab Buffers and Trigger Processor.

The other libraries are missing because you did not configure the BSP correctly.  When you create the BSP, you need to select the software libraries that you want to include in the BSP as well as the correct versions.  You should see them listed in the main dialog.  One thing to note is that the BSP dialog is a bit strange in that you should select the version first and then check the box indicating you want to use the library. 

One last thing is that you will want to make sure the configuration of WARPxilnet is the same as WARPLab 7.5.1.  Once you check the box indicating you want to use the library the software hierarchy box on the left should update and show the WARPxilnet library.  You can then configure the library by selecting it.

#14 2015-Jul-17 00:51:43

Mark

When I create Xilinx BSP, the setting is like :

Code:

--------------------+------------+--------------------------------------
        Name                |Version     |                    Description
 |X|    WARP_FPGA_BOARD_LIB |1.20.a      |WARP FPGA Board v1.2 Software Library
 |X|    WARP_HW_VER         |1.20.a      |WARP Hardware Version Library - WARP v1.2
 |X|    WARPxilnet          |2.00.a      |WARP/Xilinx Networking TCP/IP stack library
        lwip140             |1.03.a      |  ....
        xilfatfs            |1.00.a      |  ....
        xilflash            |3.03.a      |  ....
        xilisf              |3.00.a      |  ....
        xilmfs              |1.00.a      |  ....

obviously, I need to check the first three libraries, however, the version is not the latest. How could I fix it?

#15 2015-Jul-17 09:05:58

murphpo
Administrator

Click the version number to get a drop-down list of available versions. The BSP dialog (frustratingly) defaults to the oldest version of each library/driver.

You can also edit the _bsp/system.mss file directly. The BSP settings dialog box is just a GUI for editing system.mss.

#16 2015-Aug-02 09:17:04

Mark

I have changed the module "w3_warplab_buffers" to implement interpolation and decimation.  Unfortunately, it seemed that the desired logic did not function properly after I download the "bin" file into the SD card.  My design is based on WARPLab7.5.1.
What I've done involves:
1. changed the design using Xilinx System Generator
2. FIR5.0 Xilinx Blockset is used for interpolation and decimation filter. ( The phase delay is 39 clocks, thus the whole system produces 78-clock delay than the reference design)
3. RTL simulation is done using Questasim and the outcome is correct.
4. XPS and EDK flow are correct because of past successful experience.

Matlab script to be run : "wl_example_siso_ofdm_txrx.m".
I am unable to get correct constellation even if INTERP_RATE is set to 2.

Therefore, I want to do gate-level simulation to find out what happened after Place and Route. Could you please tell me how to get the gate-level netlist and sdf file after XPS flow?

#17 2015-Aug-02 16:12:04

murphpo
Administrator

XPS runs the ISE tools in command-line mode to execute the FPGA implementation process. All the intermediate and output files are saved in the <xps_proj>/synthesis and /implementation folders.

However, I would suggest additional debugging using the existing WARPLab tools before undertaking the (sizable) task of running a post-implementation sim. The OFDM example is a complicated Tx/Rx pipeline. Try running a simpler example, like the SISO Tx/Rx example. Transmitting and receiving a simple sinusoid is a good test to visualize what's happening along a Tx/Rx pipeline. Another useful step would be to use the reference WARPLab design/code as the Tx and your custom WARPLab design as the Rx. This would guarantee a known-good Tx waveform with well specified properties. The effects on the waveform captured by your design could then be analyzed more directly.

Board footer