WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-Sep-04 20:48:33

loho2027

Will changing channels necessarily deauthenticate associated users?

Hi,

When I change channels in the WARP board (802.11 Reference Design), can I keep the associated users connected to the AP, or would I necessarily deauthenticate the users?

Regards,
loho2027

#2 2016-Sep-06 07:27:23

chunter
Administrator

Re: Will changing channels necessarily deauthenticate associated users?

When using C's configure_bss() (or Python's command of the same name), you can change the channel without touching the internal association state. However, it won't do anything to tell associated stations that the AP is moving to a new channel. The 802.11 standard defines the Channel Switch Announcement (CSA) tag that can be placed into beacon transmissions or unicast action frames to inform associated STAs that they should move to the new channel. We haven't implemented this.

Assuming this is related to the virtualization project you described in a previous thread, another consideration to keep in mind is that STAs can decide to abandon a BSS if the AP leaves. Commercial Wi-Fi devices will often jump to a different AP in their list of known networks if they stop hearing beacons from your AP. So, you can't "suspend" a BSS on one channel while jumping to another channel to deal with another virtual BSS. At the very least, both have to be kept alive with periodic beacon transmissions.

Board footer