WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Apr-27 02:16:56

Asif509

RF Interface range

Hello,

How far can the signals be radiated using the RF interface.

What is the range at 2.4GHz and 5GHz

I read the oscillator frequency on WARPV3 is 200MHz. So does it mean that I can't implement any logic that runs over that frequency.

Also in WARPV3 there is unmounted oscillator pins. What is the maximum frequency of the oscillator that can be applied there.

#2 2017-Apr-27 11:01:56

murphpo
Administrator

Re: RF Interface range

What is the range at 2.4GHz and 5GHz

The WARP v3 RF interfaces do not have a specified range. Achievable range depends on many factors - characteristics of the RF circuits (Tx power, Rx sensitivity), waveform, antenna selection, propagation channel, etc. The WARP v3 Tx power is ~18dBm, though with OFDM waveforms it's a good idea to
back off a few dB due to PAR. You can find the general Rx sensitivity in the MAX2829 documentation and our 802.11 Reference Design user guide has sensitivity values when using standard 802.11 waveforms.

I read the oscillator frequency on WARPV3 is 200MHz. So does it mean that I can't implement any logic that runs over that frequency.

The WARP v3 board has two oscillators- 200MHz (only used by small part of boot logic) and 80MHz (used by RF interfaces, ADC/DACs and FPGA). The FPGA implements clock management circuits (MMCMs) that can synthesize clocks from a reference clock, including faster clocks. Our reference designs use these circuits to generate 160MHz and 320MHz clocks from the 80MHz reference. Refer to Xilinx Virtex-6 Clocking Resources User Guide for details.

Also in WARPV3 there is unmounted oscillator pins. What is the maximum frequency of the oscillator that can be applied there.

Mounting a custom oscillator is probably not required - see my answer above about using MMCMs and the existing oscillators.

The WARP v3 PCB empty oscillator footprint is connected directly to global clock pins on the FPGA. The frequency limit depends on how you plan to use the clock in the FPGA. The Xilinx Virtex-6 docs are your best resource here.

#3 2017-Jul-01 03:02:36

vutran

Hi,

I have 2 WARP v3 kit. I've read the MAX2829 datasheet. It says the Tx power is very low (-6.5 to -2 dBm depends on mode). I have measure the RF wave using a sensor and it is very low compared with a commercial wifi router. Can you explain to me what is exactly the Tx power of the Warp v3, and how it compares with the Tx power stated in the MAX2829 datasheet?
Thank you very much.

#4 2017-Jul-01 15:17:08

murphpo
Administrator

The WARP v3 RF interface has a power amplifier between the MAX2829 Tx ports and the SMA jacks. The nominal Tx power with the power amp enabled is around 18dBm.

Board footer