WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-Feb-04 01:00:30

fc

connect an external oscillator to the warp v3 kit

Hi,sir
  I am a newer to the warp v3 kit, I want to know can we connect a oscillator to the warp v3 kit, and if could,how to connect? And whether the connected oscillator has a impact on the crystal oscillator of warp itself. So I am wondering that you can explain to us, and provied us some related infomation.

Thanks

#2 2018-Feb-05 09:11:51

murphpo
Administrator

Re: connect an external oscillator to the warp v3 kit

You can supply an external clock to the WARP v3 board using the CM-PLL clock module. The CM-PLL implements an 80MHz clock source whose frequency tracks an external reference (typically 10MHz). When the CM-PLL is enabled the WARP v3 node's on-board 80MHz TCXO is bypassed (it keeps running, but no circuits use it).

What is your application for this? Typically the CM-PLL is used when you need to synchronize multiple WARP v3 nodes, such as when building a MIMO array with >4 antennas.

#3 2018-Feb-05 18:59:32

fc

murphpo wrote:

You can supply an external clock to the WARP v3 board using the CM-PLL clock module. The CM-PLL implements an 80MHz clock source whose frequency tracks an external reference (typically 10MHz). When the CM-PLL is enabled the WARP v3 node's on-board 80MHz TCXO is bypassed (it keeps running, but no circuits use it).

What is your application for this? Typically the CM-PLL is used when you need to synchronize multiple WARP v3 nodes, such as when building a MIMO array with >4 antennas.

Hi,
  I understand what you said, a CM-PLL  is often used to synchronize multiple Warp v3 nodes, but now I want to explore the impacts on frequency shift when oscillator (Y1) works on different tempertures. Due to the Y1 is too small on the Warp v3 board, it is difficult for us to estimate the temperture on the Y1, so I want to connect a same TCXO Y1 to the warp v3 kit, then we can easily to estiamte. Or would you suggest a good approach to estimate the temperture on the Y1.
Another, what is oscillator type of Y1, I cannot find the information.

Thanks

#4 2018-Feb-06 13:36:49

murphpo
Administrator

The 80MHz TCXO on WARP v3 is a SiTime SiT5001AC-3D-33N0-80.000. This oscillator automatically adjusts its frequency output to compensate for temperature changes. Because of this you will not be able to observe a simple temperature vs frequency response for the oscillator output.

Board footer