WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-Nov-27 14:47:52

Yan Wang

802.11 Reference Design

Hello,

I have two questions about the example scripts in 802.11 Reference Design.
I meet some problems when I calculate the time difference between the data packet and the corresponding ACK packet sent by AP and STA respectively. In the experiment, the difference is 70us, but in my calculation, the difference is 46us and the SIFS is set as 10us for IEEE 802.11n standard(2.4GHz).

The first question is what is the value of short interframe space(SIFS) value in this experiment?

The second question is that does the experiment use IEEE 802.11n standard and which physical layer packet structure is used in this experiment as shown in the figure. I use the first structure to calculate the packet length.

https://upload.cc/i1/2018/11/28/OxGXEP.png

#2 2018-Nov-27 15:17:14

chunter
Administrator

Re: 802.11 Reference Design

Yan Wang wrote:

Hello,

I have two questions about the example scripts in 802.11 Reference Design.
I meet some problems when I calculate the time difference between the data packet and the corresponding ACK packet sent by AP and STA respectively. In the experiment, the difference is 70us, but in my calculation, the difference is 46us and the SIFS is set as 10us for IEEE 802.11n standard(2.4GHz).

The first question is what is the value of short interframe space(SIFS) value in this experiment?

I find this part of the standard to be pretty confusing. The SIFS is technically 10 µs when you are talking about 802.11g at 2.4 GHz and 16 µs when you are talking about 802.11a at 5 GHz. However, the former also requires a 6 µs "Rx extension" that pushes out the end of a reception. The end result is that the behavior in both bands realizes the same thing: there is 16 µs of silence between the data and ACK frames. See this characterization that compares our SIFS to a commercial Wi-Fi device.

Yan Wang wrote:

The second question is that does the experiment use IEEE 802.11n standard and which physical layer packet structure is used in this experiment as shown in the figure. I use the first structure to calculate the packet length.

https://upload.cc/i1/2018/11/28/OxGXEP.png

We do not use the greenfield format. The PHY will use the NONHT and HTMF preamble structures depending what PHY mode you are using. How are you calculating 70µs? What is that a measurement of exactly? The last sample of the data frame to the first sample of the ACK frame?

#3 2018-Nov-29 10:49:56

Yan Wang

chunter wrote:

We do not use the greenfield format. The PHY will use the NONHT and HTMF preamble structures depending what PHY mode you are using. How are you calculating 70µs? What is that a measurement of exactly? The last sample of the data frame to the first sample of the ACK frame?

I do the experiment based on the dual-node log capture example in 802.11 reference design experiment framework. I changed the code to just let start a fully-backlogged locally generated traffic(LTG) flow from AP->STA. In this experiment, HTMF preamble structure is used. When I analysed the received data packets in STA from AP and ACK packets in AP. I found the time between the Data packet and corresponding ACK is 70us from the results of the experiment. I calculated the time difference between the data packets and the corresponding ACK packets through the following formula.
https://upload.cc/i1/2018/11/30/0dyxmI.png
In the formula, lmac is the number of bytes of MAC packet, Nsubc is the number of data subcarriers, 52 in HTMF waveform (11n), Nbpsc is the number of bits per subcarrier.

The number of OFDM symbols of the entire physical layer packet is calculated based on the Non-HT PPDU.  The number of bytes of the MAC packet is 48 in which I set the number bytes of MAC payload as 20. MCS is chosen as 3 which means the modulation rate is 16-QAM(4 bits per subcarrier), the code rate is 1/2 and data rate is 26Mbps. However, after the calculation, the time duration of the data packet is 36us and the SIFS is 16us. The calculation result cannot match the experiment result.

Is there anything wrong to calculate the time difference of data packet and corresponding ACK packet?

#4 2018-Nov-29 11:02:51

murphpo
Administrator

The formula you posted describes the duration of a NONHT waveform. The "5" term represents the preamble (STF(2) + LTF(2)) and SIGNAL field (1). A SISO HTMF waveform has 4 additional OFDM symbols (HTSIG(2) + HTSTF(1) + HTLTF(1)). Our calc_tx_time() Python method implements this calculation for both waveforms. Note that calc_tx_time() includes the 6 usec extension Chris described above.

#5 2018-Dec-05 08:06:58

Yan Wang

murphpo wrote:
The formula you posted describes the duration of a NONHT waveform. The "5" term represents the preamble (STF(2) + LTF(2)) and SIGNAL field (1). A SISO HTMF waveform has 4 additional OFDM symbols (HTSIG(2) + HTSTF(1) + HTLTF(1)). Our calc_tx_time() Python method implements this calculation for both waveforms. Note that calc_tx_time() includes the 6 usec extension Chris described above.

I add the 4 additional OFDM symbols to the formula and calculate again, then I changed the payload length to test whether it matches other conditions. The calculation results and experiment result is shown in the following picture. However, according to the results, the experiment results usually 2 to 6 higher than the calculation for each length of the payloads. Why did this happen?  Is that because of the instrument accuracy?

https://upload.cc/i1/2018/12/05/fpc0Fu.png

#6 2018-Dec-05 10:08:00

murphpo
Administrator

Can you clarify how you're computing the time difference in your experiment? Are you comparing the TX_LOW.timestamp values extracted from two log files (one from each node)? If so, are your nodes sharing clocks?

Board footer