WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-Mar-05 10:34:17

chenhongwei

WARP V3 connect to fmcdaq2 in visible light communication

Hello!
our laboratory's working focus on visible light communication (VLC)
one side .we want use the WARP board to realize OFDM modulation and demodulation function.generally speaking,our assumption is as follow:data package from computer to WARP board ,then we can get digtal signal modulated by WARP OFDM module and then to output digital signal to FMCDAQ2 through FMC slot,the FMCDAQ2 translate digital signal to analog signal,then output to electro-optical converter.
now.i get a problem.i dont know how to let WARP work with FMCDAQ2.adi hdl reference design seems do'nt support virtex-6.i wish someone can give me advice!

#2 2019-Mar-05 10:57:10

murphpo
Administrator

Re: WARP V3 connect to fmcdaq2 in visible light communication

We've never used the FMCDAQ2 FMC module. You'll have to build a custom FPGA design that interfaces this module to the PHY cores. The WARP v3 user guide describes the FMC slot on the WARP v3 hardware and provides the FMC-to-FPGA pin mapping.

#3 2019-Mar-06 09:01:02

chenhongwei

Hi,Thank for your reply,as you say,it will be a very complex task.
so,I plan to use the FMC-BB-4DA to realize D/A function.I want to use the FMC-BB-4DA to output the analog signal that It should have been used for antenna transmission(after OFDM modulation) then,FMC-BB-4DA's output  drive the electro-optical converter.I think i need to modify the reference design 's software,I am a student and have no experience in doing that work.can you give some advice or guidance to me in modifing WARP  software design.thank you!

#4 2019-Mar-06 09:16:46

murphpo
Administrator

You're describing a custom FPGA design, based on our reference design replacing the RF interfaces with a baseband D/A interface. This is certainly possible, but you will need to become proficient at XPS (for integrating all the FPGA cores and implementing the final design), HDL (or some other FPGA design entry tool for your custom baseband interface) and the SDK (to modify our reference software for your custom design). We cannot teach you how to use all these tools.

#5 2019-Mar-06 21:34:40

chenhongwei

hi!if i only program the software to let MicroBlaze CPU copying the digtal signal and sent digtal signal to FMC slot ,the RF antenna can still transmitt sigmal.can i do it ?thank you!

#6 2019-Mar-07 09:43:26

murphpo
Administrator

The application you described requires significant changes to the FPGA design. It cannot be achieved with changes to only the MicroBlaze software.

#7 2019-Mar-07 21:29:12

chenhongwei

thank you! i I've learned something.I need to build  the RF interfaces with a baseband D/A interface.after i  complete that custom D/A interface design,i think the CPU software don't need significant changes ,i am right ?

#8 2019-Mar-07 21:32:36

chenhongwei

Or what aspects of software need to be changed?i think it don't need change.wish your reply

#9 2019-Mar-07 21:54:04

murphpo
Administrator

It is not possible to answer this question. You will need to write software to configure and control the cores in your custom FPGA design.

Board footer