WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Jan-18 00:30:41

Neha

Streaming Video

I want to stream video using OFDM Reference design. but I am not able to understand the steps provided on WARP. Can anybody please help and explain me the steps properly via web conference.

#2 2014-Jan-18 16:26:09

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Streaming Video

One-on-one support is not available via web conference. We are happy to answer questions here on the forums. You will need to describe exactly what you've tried, what you expected and what you actually observed.

#3 2014-Jan-21 03:32:39

Neha

I am not able to ping the WARP boards wirelesslely.

The steps i followed were
1. Programing of two FPGA seperately.
2. Streaming the video
But I am not able to ping the pc. I also tried the magic arp command on command prompt.

#4 2014-Jan-21 08:55:57

chunter
Administrator

Again, that is not nearly enough detail about the steps you followed for us to provide any useful feedback. Specific questions:

1) When both boards are booted, do they show different numbers in the hex display?
2) Do any LEDs on the board light up or blink when you are trying to ping? Which LEDs?
3) Are the PCs on the same subnet? If you connect the two PCs together via Ethernet directly, leaving WARP out of it, can the two computers ping each other on that subnet?

Also, the ARP table entry for broadcast packets isn't needed for the OFDM Reference Design or 802.11 Reference Design. That's needed for old versions of WARPLab that send Ethernet triggers to sync processing at multiple nodes.

#5 2014-Jan-22 00:57:27

Neha

These are the steps and observations I followed

1.    Connection of WARP Node directly to the Ethernet Interface of the PC’s.
2.    Configure the PC Ethernet interfaces with IP address on the same subnet
Tx – 10.0.0.2  , Rx – 10.0.0.1.
3.    Generate the FPGA Configuration file for the design using the OFDM Referance Design project and the noMAC software project.
4.    Configure both WARP nodes using the same download. Bit.
5.    At Source Node :In Command Prompt  We wrote :
Ping 10.0.0.1
Error: Request Time Out( sometimes it is able to Ping )
Observations:
D12 and D13 glows alternatively , D15 glows permanently.
RF(D1) permanent on , RF(D2) frequently ON and OFF
LED Display : 00
ETH A : D21 , D23 frequently ON/OFF and D25 : always ON

6.    At Destination Node : In Command Prompt
Ping 10.0.0.2
Error: Request Time Out( sometimes it is able to Ping )
Observations:
D12 and D13 glows alternatively , D14 glows permanently.
RF(D1) permanent on , RF(D2) frequently ON and OFF
LED Display : 00
ETH A : D21 , D23 frequently ON/OFF and D25 : always ON

7.    When sometimes we are able to ping both nodes We are unable to stream video. Please explain the steps to stream a video.

#6 2014-Jan-22 20:30:48

murphpo
Administrator

7.    When sometimes we are able to ping both nodes We are unable to stream video. Please explain the steps to stream a video.

If pings ever work it means the design has been downloaded correctly. You will need to debug why the wireless transmissions are not being received reliably. NoMAC is a very simple application- it does not send ACKs, it does not retransmit after failed receptions and it does not sense the medium before transmitting. Any interference or other degradation of the wireless medium will severely impact the performance NoMAC achieves. I would suggest trying a different wireless channel, verifying the connection of the antennas, verifying the antennas are not damaged, etc. You may also consider an alternate MAC implementation. CSMAMAC, for example, implements a much more robust protocol (carrier sensing, re-transmissions after failed Tx, etc).

#7 2014-Sep-28 22:34:03

krupeshved

Hello everybody,

I am new to WARP setup and wanted to know what would be the best way to learn about these radios and methods to handle it. I need it for my research project where am helping a PhD student.

#8 2014-Sep-28 23:41:24

welsh
Administrator

The best place to start is the Getting Started section of the webpage.  If you go through the information and tutorials, then you will be ready to explore the reference designs and the examples that utilize the reference designs.

#9 2014-Sep-29 17:08:27

krupeshved

thank you. Is this the same tutorial as needed for warplab7?

#10 2014-Sep-29 22:03:55

welsh
Administrator

The Getting Started section of the webpage will allow you to become familiar with the hardware and the tools that you will use if you ever want to deviate from the Reference Bitstreams in the release. 

If you are only going to use the Reference Bitstreams, you should still familiarize yourself with the WARP v3 hardware.  After that you can use the WARPLab Quick Start guide and then dig in to the WARPLab Examples.

#11 2014-Sep-30 13:18:02

krupeshved

Thank you

#12 2015-Mar-23 00:39:12

kanchan

Hi,
     I am trying to configure WARP v3 FPGA with the WARPLab 7 reference design. for node 0,I set up the dip switch as 0000
but after programming the node the right Hex display showing the value 1.same way for dip switch configuration 0001 hex display showing 2.I am not getting how to solve this problem.as a result when I tried to run the following command in matlab

N = 2;
nodes = wl_initNodes(N);
wl_nodeCmd(nodes,'identify');
disp(nodes)

it shows the following error

Error in node 1 with ID = 0:
ME =

MException

Properties:
    identifier: 'wl_transport_eth_mex:send:noReply'
       message: 'maximum number of retransmissions met without reply from node'
         cause: {0x1 cell}
         stack: [6x1 struct]

Methods

Error message follows:
maximum number of retransmissions met without reply from node

??? Error using ==> wl_initNodes at 162
The following nodes with IDs = [ 0 ] are not responding. Please ensure that the nodes have been configured with the
WARPLab bitstream.

Last edited by kanchan (2015-Mar-23 05:43:49)

#13 2015-Mar-23 08:43:33

welsh
Administrator

For WARPLab 7, the value on the hex display is (Node ID + 1), where Node ID is the value of the dip switches in hex.  This is a long standing convention in WARPLab.  Therefore, if you set the dip switches to 0000, then the node should display a value of 1. 

From the error message, there is something not correct in your connection from the host to the nodes.  Some things to look at / try:
  1)  Are you using a 1 Gbps switch to connect the host to the nodes?  By default WARPLab 7 uses 1 Gbps Ethernet (this can be changed by in C code). 
  2)  Check the UART output to see if there are any error messages. 
  3)  Use Wireshark to see what Ethernet packets are being transmitted between the host and the nodes.
  4)  Make sure you are using Ethernet Port A

Also, which version of WARPLab 7 are you using?

#14 2015-Mar-23 12:51:19

kanchan

Hi welsh,
    thanks you for your reply.the problem solved. initially I connect the nodes  with 100Mbps Ethernet switch.I change it to 1Gbps and now it working correctly.

Board footer