WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-Apr-23 19:26:19

INTPer

Is warpboard sensitive to static electricity?

Hi there, when I run warpboard for a while the results looks not correct and when I kinda touch the board, I always get a static electricity shock. Therefore, I'm guessing those incorrectness may be caused by static electricity, especially at the interface with antennas, but I'm not sure about it. If warpboard(v3) is sensitive to static electricity, do you know how to get rid of it? Can I use v1 changer for v3 since v1 changer is connected to the ground. Thanks!

#2 2015-Apr-24 09:52:38

chunter
Administrator

Re: Is warpboard sensitive to static electricity?

Yes, as our user guide states, the WARP hardware is sensitive to electrostatic discharge (ESD). You can easily damage the board "shocking" it like that. To prevent damage, your work table should be outfitted with an anti-static table mat, and you should wear a properly grounded anti-static wrist strap whenever you touch the board. These steps must be taken regardless of whether the power supply has a third ground post or not.

#3 2015-Apr-24 23:13:52

INTPer

Thanks for your answer chunter! Since these boards have been shocked by static electronic several times, how can I know or measure whether these boards works correctly?
Currently I have a problem with my experiments with those boards. I don't know whether it's caused by channel, board, antennas or configuration of gain, my experiments can work correct sometime, not all the time. I'm very confident with my codes and I remember it worked well 2 weeks ago.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#4 2015-Apr-27 09:05:11

welsh
Administrator

The best thing to do is to try to isolate the problem.  First, run your algorithm using a simulated channel (i.e. take the WARP nodes out of the signal chain, similar to what we do in the OFDM example for the "sim-only" environment). 

Once you are confident that your algorithm is working correctly, then you should test the WARP hardware using the known WARPLab examples.  It should be fairly obvious if there are issues looking at the output of all the examples.

Once you are confident that the WARP hardware is working correctly, then you can combine both to see if there is an interfacing problem in your code to the WARP hardware.

Board footer