WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-Aug-28 12:28:31

manda chiranjeevi

warp lab channel estimation

hi i am chiranjeevi and i want to compute mimo channel estimation in warp lab with out preamble whether it will be possible?

#2 2015-Aug-28 13:09:44

murphpo
Administrator

Re: warp lab channel estimation

Channel estimation typically requires transmitting a training sequence known to both the transmitter and receiver. Embedding the channel training sequence in the preamble is a sensible approach for packet based systems, allowing "fresh" channel estimates to be computed immediately before the receiver uses those estimates to detect and decode the the payload.

Perhaps you can explain in more detail what you're trying to achieve? Why is it important your waveform not include a preamble?

#3 2015-Aug-28 13:37:16

manda chiranjeevi

hi sir my aim is to send raw data(BASE BAND) from the transmitter section and to receive the data from the warp receiver board and to calculate the channel response from the data available that means without sending preamble please send me the information related to it.

#4 2015-Aug-31 10:32:35

murphpo
Administrator

You're describing a scheme usually called "blind channel estimation". We cannot teach you how this works, as we've never built a blind channel estimation system. You will need to study the details of this on your own. I would strongly encourage you to study this on paper and in simulation before trying anything in hardware. You should have a working simulation of Tx->channel model->Rx before attempting to implement the full system in WARPLab.

#5 2015-Aug-31 23:10:23

manda chiranjeevi

thank you sir

#6 2015-Sep-08 00:29:08

manda chiranjeevi

Hi sir, i am chiranjeevi and while calculating the channel baseband channel estimaton using mimo with out preamble and ofdm technique, i got the channel coefficient values as
h11max=0.4121+0.0401i
h11min=-0.3256+0.4138i
etc
and every time when i run the code the instantaneous channel coefficient values are changing for the same transmission of the input data.
please send me the information related to this issue.
and the input data is having the magnitudes [-1,1]

Last edited by manda chiranjeevi (2015-Sep-08 01:16:58)

#7 2015-Sep-08 08:58:44

murphpo
Administrator

A channel estimate will reflect all changes in magnitude and phase between the Tx baseband and Rx baseband. Many of these changes vary with time (propagation channel coefficients, carrier frequency offset, sampling frequency offset, etc.). When transmitting over-the-air with standalone Tx/Rx kits, you cannot expect the received waveform to be a scaled version of the transmitted waveform with no time-varying changes. There are many sources of phase and amplitude variation along the Tx -> Rx path. Your Rx processing must handle these offsets. This typically requires your Tx waveform to include a training sequence the receiver can use to calculate effective channel estimates. The WARPLab wl_example_siso_ofdm_txrx.m script provides one example of a complete Tx -> Rx implementation. If you want a totally blind receiver, you will need to figure out how to estimate and compensate for the various phase/frequency/magnitude offsets in your Rx implementation.

#8 2015-Sep-08 09:37:07

murphpo
Administrator

One additional thought, echoing my advice in post #4 above- you should absolutely be testing your Tx/Rx scheme in simulation before trying anything in hardware. You can start with a simple static channel model, then add additional factors (frequency offsets, channel fluctuations, etc.) individually, verifying your Tx/Rx code at each step. This would be a much better approach than starting with hardware and asking us to debug it for you.

#9 2015-Sep-11 00:00:46

manda chiranjeevi

hi sir,
for operating two warp v3 nodes and in which one  act as transmitter and another one act  as receiver and to transmit and receive the data from nodes whether the nodes will need any synchronization modules kindly let me know the information related to this issue.

#10 2015-Sep-11 08:26:04

murphpo
Administrator

#11 2015-Sep-21 03:33:44

manda chiranjeevi

why warp lab 7.6 basic transmission program does not use preamble for its transmission is there any reasons please let me know

#12 2015-Sep-21 08:40:33

murphpo
Administrator

The wl_example_basic_txrx.m script does not use AGC or energy-detect triggers, so it does not require a preamble on the waveform. The purpose of this script is to demonstrate the minimum set of WARPLab commands necessary to transmit and receive an arbitrary waveform. The other, more complicated examples build on this minimum set to demonstrate more sophisticated schemes.

#13 2015-Sep-21 08:42:00

welsh
Administrator

In WARPLab 7.5.1, the simplest example was wl_example_siso_txrx.m.  From a teaching / introduction to WARPLab standpoint, that example was quite complex.  Therefore, for WARPLab 7.6.0, we decided to create the simplest example that we could for WARPLab.  This included only using manual gains for transmission and reception.  Since we were no longer using the AGC, that allowed us to simplify the waveform and only transmit a complex sinusoid.  As you can see in the new example, it is extremely "basic" and much easier to understand from an introductory standpoint.

#14 2015-Nov-27 22:36:36

manda chiranjeevi

Hi sir, I am trying to transmit video from one warp board to another warp board for this application which bit stream file that i have to dump to the warp boards.

#15 2015-Nov-28 02:52:51

murphpo
Administrator

If you need to a real-time wireless link between WARP nodes, I would suggest the 802.11 Reference Design.

#16 2015-Nov-28 05:07:52

manda chiranjeevi

In 802.11 reference design which bit stream files that i have to dump either nomac bit stream files or some other bit stream files please send me the information

#17 2015-Nov-30 07:42:04

chunter
Administrator

The 802.11 Reference Design documentation explains in detail how to use the design. For your video application, you probably want one board programmed with the AP bitstream and the other board programmed as a STA.

#18 2015-Dec-16 06:39:16

manda chiranjeevi

Dear sir, i have tried 2x2 mimo code but there is 50 to 60 samples delay in received samples ,so please tell to us how to eliminate the delay samples at the receiver

Last edited by manda chiranjeevi (2015-Dec-16 06:39:52)

#19 2015-Dec-16 20:57:31

murphpo
Administrator

You need to tell us more about your setup. What version of WARP hardware? What version of WARPLab? Are you using Ethernet triggers to both nodes? Or do your nodes share triggers with a wire? How do you observe the 50-60 sample delay?

#20 2015-Dec-19 04:20:30

manda chiranjeevi

I am using WARPLab7.6 version and using ETHERNET triggers to both nodes and at transmitter we sent sinusoidal wave forms ,the received wave forms are delayed by 40 to 50 samples

#21 2015-Dec-19 08:50:45

murphpo
Administrator

The Rx waveform arriving after the Tx waveform makes sense. There are non-zero latencies through the Tx buffers, Tx DAC, Tx RF circuits, propagation channel, Rx RF circuits, ADC and Rx buffers. It is also likely that your Rx node is receiving the broadcast trigger after the Tx node. We use broadcast Ethernet packets to send triggers. However most Ethernet switches do not implement simultaneous-to-every-port broadcast. Instead most implement transmission on each port in some order. You can observe this effect by swapping the Ethernet ports to which your WARP nodes are connected.

The unknown delay from Tx to Rx is why real communications systems implement some kind of synchronization in their Rx waveform processing. For example our OFDM script for WARPLab uses a complex correlator to location the long training symbol in the preamble of the received waveform. The correlation peak is used to set the FFT windows for the rest of the Rx flow.

#22 2016-Mar-16 07:14:50

manda chiranjeevi

sir we tested the warp kits in an indoor scenario for hardly 1or 2 meters of distance, and if we want to test the wireless transmission in outdoor environment then how much distance the wireless transmission is possible in between two warp kits by setting one board as a transmitter and another board as a receiver ,by using 2x2mimo WARP LAB reference design.
please let me know the limitations of this hardware kit in terms of distance in indoor as well as in outdoor scenarios.

Last edited by manda chiranjeevi (2016-Mar-16 07:25:39)

#23 2016-Mar-16 12:50:01

murphpo
Administrator

Longer distance means higher path loss. The actual path loss depends on the frequency and propagation environment. The WARP nodes don't control the path loss. You can estimate the Rx power in your experiment to understand how much path loss your signal experiences, and how much more loss your system can tolerate. There are many threads on these forums about estimation Rx power. I would also encourage you to read more about link budgets and path loss to understand what to expect when increasing the distance between the Tx and Rx nodes.

#24 2016-May-17 05:36:04

manda chiranjeevi

hi sir i am trying to implement 64 QAM modulation technique for image transmission in ofdm transmission code but the received image quality is not good when compared to 16 QAM modulation technique ,and also i tried with different tx_rf gain values for 64 QAM but there is no improvement so please give me your response to this problem.
thanking you sir.

#25 2016-May-17 08:27:36

murphpo
Administrator

We cannot debug your PHY design for you. In general 64-QAM requires higher SNR and better synchronization (channel estimation, equalization, CFO correction, phase error correction, etc) than lower-order modulation schemes. You will need to isolate the various sources of error in your system and investigate whether you can improve them. Replacing antennas with a cable+attenuators (always >30dB attenuation between Tx and Rx) is a good way to control SNR. Sharing clocks between Tx and Rx nodes is a good way to control phase/frequency synchronization. You can also explore these issues in simulation - introducing noise, fading, phase and frequency offsets is straightforward in m code. You should see your entire PHY design work in simulation with realistic (simulated) degradations before hoping to see it work in hardware.

Board footer