WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-Jul-11 15:27:38

cancub

How to recognize that another STA has TXd and stop current TX

In reference design 1.4.0 I'm trying to implement some code in two STAs that does the following:

0) Set DIFS to 0 so that the only pre-tx waiting that the DCF does is based on backoff slots
1) Reference the most recent beacon's timestamp and a hardcoded time length in order to wait for a specified point in time
2) Reference AID to set the number of pre-tx backoff slots that the STA must wait before TXing
3) Send a frame down to the DCF in PHY
4) If the other STA transmits prior to this STA reaching its specified number of backoff slots, stop the current transmission
5) Wait for the next beacon and go to 1)

I'm accomplishing 1) via

Code:

time_delta = (s64)(((beacon_probe_frame*)mpdu_ptr_u8)->timestamp) - (s64)(mpdu_info->timestamp) + PHY_T_OFFSET;
apply_mac_time_delta_usec(time_delta);

and then a simple function that checks the current time versus ((beacon_probe_frame*)mpdu_ptr_u8)->timestamp + <common wait time for all STAs>

I'm accomplishing 2) via first obtaining the number of slots to wait. For the first STA, this will always be 1 slot, while the second STA will always be 7 slots. Then, the following code runs

Code:

// clear any previous backoffs
wlan_mac_set_backoff_reset(1);
wlan_mac_set_backoff_reset(0);

// Start the backoff
if (n_slots > 0) {
    wlan_mac_dcf_hw_start_backoff(n_slots);
}

Then I send the frame to PHY DCF via the usual

Code:

// transmit
wlan_mac_tx_ctrl_A_start(1);
wlan_mac_tx_ctrl_A_start(0);

Now, for 4), the behaviour I'm expecting for the two STAs is that the STA with a backoff of 1 will wait that one backoff and then transmit -- having not heard any other transmissions -- while the STA with a backoff of 7 will wait 1 backoff slot, recognize that another STA has transmitted and then this code

Code:

mac_hw_status = wlan_mac_get_status();

// Transmission is complete
if( mac_hw_status & WLAN_MAC_STATUS_MASK_TX_A_DONE ) {
} else {
}

will skip down to the else option. Instead, the result of both STAs is that the condition evaluates to true (i.e., the TX is done) and

mac_hw_status & WLAN_MAC_STATUS_MASK_TX_A_RESULT

in the switch statement evaluates to WLAN_MAC_STATUS_TX_A_RESULT_NONE. To me, this implies that both STAs thought they transmitted successfully, further implying that the STA with a backoff of 7 did not hear the tranmission of the STA with a backoff of 1. In reality, neither STAs' transmission is visible in the air, meaning that either there's some misreporting going on in terms of transmission status in PHY or they are actually both transmitting, and my monitor interface capturing the air was unable to decipher the packets' contents due to a collision. Am I not interpreting the functions or the result correctly? How might I go about achieving my intended goal?

Just as an FYI: with just one STA set to wait, backoff and transmit, there are no problems and the packet is seen in the air.

Last edited by cancub (2016-Jul-11 15:28:19)

#2 2016-Jul-11 16:12:13

murphpo
Administrator

Re: How to recognize that another STA has TXd and stop current TX

My first guess would be that setting the DIFS to 0 is the underlying problem.

The Tx A state machine only executes a pre-Tx backoff if the medium as not been idle for a DIFS interval immediately before the FSM is started. When DIFS=0, the MAC core's IDLE_FOR_DIFS will always be 1, leading the Tx A FSM to always skip the pre-Tx backoff.

#3 2016-Jul-11 16:15:42

cancub

Ahhhh, ok. That makes a lot of sense. I guess my setup would go against the essence of the DCF. So would it be fair to say that if I wanted to implement this project, the best option I have is not in using backoffs, but rather modifying the length of DIFS?

#4 2016-Jul-11 16:19:38

murphpo
Administrator

Is your goal to give one node priority access to the medium? If so, giving that node a shorter DIFS is a good starting point. This is analogous to the 802.11 PIFS. DIFS is defined as (SIFS + 2*SLOT). PIFS is (SIFS + 1*SLOT), resulting in PIFS-based Tx getting priority access over DIFS-based Tx. I think it's helpful to think of PIFS as a backoff of -1 slot.

#5 2016-Jul-12 09:33:47

cancub

I think there may be more to this story. So, my setup has both STAs monitoring the transmissions of the the other STA to get an observation by the "medium" as to when each STA transmits. The test I'm running has STA 1 waiting until 50,000 us after the beacon then waiting a 30 us guard interval and then finally <n_slots> * <backoff_length>. The first picture below is what STA 2 observes in terms of STA 1's transmissions with n_slots = 1:

http://i.imgur.com/7KG6l81.png

As we can see, it appears as though STA 1 is waiting 50,000 + 30 + (1*9) = 50,039 us with a few extra microseconds here and there for propagation delay in the air/PHY layers. This next image is what STA 2 observes when n_slots = 7:

http://i.imgur.com/bo84R2r.png

Here, we can see that STA 1 is waiting 50,000 + 30 + (7*9) = 50,093 us, give or take. If the TX A FSM is always skipping the pre-tx backoff, why would there be any difference between the situations where n_slots is 1 and n_slots is 7?

#6 2016-Jul-12 11:08:40

murphpo
Administrator

You're right - I hadn't noticed in your code that you're explicitly starting a backoff with wlan_mac_dcf_hw_start_backoff() before starting the Tx A FSM. As a result the Tx A FSM doesn't start a new backoff but does defer Tx until the already-running backoff expires.

However I think setting DIFS to zero is still the underlying problem. The backoff counter decrements by 1 after an idle slot. The slot timer runs whenever IDLE_FOR_DIFS is true. Normally if the medium has been busy within a DIFS interval the slot counter resets and the backoff counter does not decrement. This is the mechanism by which distributed nodes align their slot boundaries (i.e. everyone starts counting their first T_SLOT interval from 0 exactly T_DIFS after the last medium event). When T_DIFS=0, IDLE_FOR_DIFS is always 1, so the slot counter is always running and the backoff counter starts decrementing every slot interval after you call wlan_mac_dcf_hw_start_backoff() until it hits 0, triggering the Tx PHY. Critically, forcing IDLE_FOR_DIFS=1 allows the slot/backoff counters to run even after the Rx PHY starts receiving a waveform. Normally when the Rx PHY is active the MAC core asserts BUSY, causing IDLE_FOR_DIFS=0, thereby resetting the slot counter and pausing any backoff. This will defer any pending Tx until after the Rx event. In your case IDLE_FOR_DIFS=1 (independent of Rx PHY state), which allows the Tx PHY to begin transmitting during a reception. This would definitely result in corrupted waveforms at all nodes.

I would suggest trying a small non-zero value for T_DIFS. This will allow the MAC core to de-assert IDLE_FOR_DIFS long enough to properly sequence Rx/backoff/Tx events.

#7 2016-Jul-12 11:49:29

cancub

That's actually pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to spell that out for me, it's a great help. Alright, I'll switch over to working with T_DIFS. I actually have a question about how DIFS is set in the reference design, but I'll post that to a new topic so that it's more searchable.

#8 2016-Jul-12 13:21:25

cancub

I think I may be missing something, here. I've done away with all usage of backoff slots and am now just testing with different DIFS sizes by altering this line code in wlan_mac_low.h and reprogramming the WARP:

Code:

#define T_DIFS				(T_SIFS + (num_slots * T_SLOT))

For num_slots = 2, the observed timings are
http://i.imgur.com/XQ2bjJk.png
which shows that the STA is waiting 50,000 + 30 = 50,030 us, give or take. The implication seems to be that the DIFS is being ignored entirely, otherwise I should see 50,000 + 30 + 28 = 50,058 us.

To further confirm this, I redid this test with

num_slots = 4:
http://i.imgur.com/RPacqwa.png

and num_slots = 10:
http://i.imgur.com/o5CIeV6.png

In no case is the T_DIFS value referenced by the PHY DCF. Again, these timings are observed by another STA which references the same beacon timestamp that the transmitting STA is referencing to wait for 50,030 us.

Last edited by cancub (2016-Jul-12 13:21:46)

#9 2016-Jul-12 14:29:15

murphpo
Administrator

Remember the DIFS only defines the minimum idle time between medium activity and a new transmission. In this case you're imposing a 50msec idle period between a beacon Rx and the STA Tx. The DIFS overlaps (a very small) part of this idle period.

#10 2016-Jul-12 14:47:29

cancub

I'm confused. My understanding of the DCF was that the process (for a brand new frame) is:

1) Frame arrives at MAC sublayer to send out.
2) Wait for DIFS
    a) if idle for entirety of DIFS, transmit
    b) if not idle for entirety of DIFS then
        i) draw backoff value
        ii) wait for end of current DATA + ACK communication
        iii) wait for DIFS
        iv) wait for entirety of backoff (pausing for comms + DIFS for overheard transmissions) and then tx
        v) if collision, increase contention window size and go to i)

But what you're saying here sounds like once an initial wait for DIFS is performed after a busy medium, the next frame that comes down (whenever it comes down) will be transmitted immediately without waiting for  DIFS. So, in theory, two STAs see the beacon, wait a DIFS, wait 50,000 microseconds and then just transmit immediately without performing another DIFS wait prior to transmitting? I thought that -- according to the standard -- the arrival of a new frame into the DCF FSM would always trigger a DIFS wait prior to sending anything.

Last edited by cancub (2016-Jul-12 14:50:28)

#11 2016-Jul-12 15:35:49

cancub

Let me rephrase all this. My goal is to -- given an idle medium and irrespective of past medium (in)activity -- have a STA wait X microseconds prior to transmission, where X is modifiable at runtime. If the STA should hear another transmission within the X microsecond window, the transmission should be cancelled and CPU low should be informed that the transmission was unsuccessful. Is this possible with any sort of parameter in WARP's current design? I see references to pre-TX and post-TX/RX timers. Could any of them be exploited to achieve my goal?

Last edited by cancub (2016-Jul-12 15:36:24)

#12 2016-Jul-12 16:21:19

murphpo
Administrator

I find this part of the standard confusing. We've spent a lot of time debating it internally. We're pretty confident in our current implementation, but it's definitely possible our interpretation is inconsistent with other 802.11 implementations.

A few sections we find helpful here:

"In general, a STA may transmit a pending MPDU when it is operating under the DCF access method...when the STA determines that the medium is idle for greater than or equal to a DIFS period" (802.11-2012 9.3.4.2)

"Immediate access when medium is free >= DIFS" (label in 802.11-2012 Figure 9-11)

"A STA using the DCF may transmit if its CS mechanism determines that the medium is idle at the TxDIFS slot boundary as defined in 9.3.7 after a correctly received frame, and its backoff time has expired." (802.11-2012 9.3.2.3.5)

I take this to mean that a node may transmit immediately if, at the time an MPDU is received by the DCF Tx state machine, the medium has already been idle for >=T_DIFS and the backoff counter is expired. Our Tx A FSM implements this behavior - these are the conditions for the direct-to-Tx transition from IDLE.

Let me rephrase all this. My goal is to -- given an idle medium and irrespective of past medium (in)activity -- have a STA wait X microseconds prior to transmission, where X is modifiable at runtime. If the STA should hear another transmission within the X microsecond window, the transmission should be cancelled and CPU low should be informed that the transmission was unsuccessful. Is this possible with any sort of parameter in WARP's current design?

I believe you are already very close to this. If you set the DIFS/TxDIFS values to non-zero (to preserve the MAC core's normal sequencing of idle/busy/Tx/Rx), then use explicitly-started backoffs, you can arbitrarily delay a node's transmission relative to the start of the Tx A FSM. If you synchronize two STA's backoff starts and Tx A starts via the beacon timestamp, the node with the shorter backoff will reliably transmit first. With a non-zero DIFS, the other node will defer its own transmission by pausing its backoff counter during the not-IDLE_FOR_DIFS time until after the receive process completes.

You will need to add code to terminate the Tx A FSM in the case that an Rx starts before the Tx A FSM starts the Tx PHY. This is not standard behavior. By default the Tx A FSM will always transmit a packet once started; it might take a long time, but it will happen eventually.

Here you need to reset the Tx A FSM in the case of an RX_START event occurring while the FSM is in the DEFER state. The Rx event will be observed by the existing call to check of the WLAN_MAC_STATUS_MASK_RX_PHY_STARTED status bit in the "while( mac_hw_status & WLAN_MAC_STATUS_MASK_TX_A_PENDING )" loop. You will need to modify this flow to reset the Tx A FSM, either before or after calling wlan_mac_low_poll_frame_rx(). You can reset the Tx A FSM with "wlan_mac_reset_tx_ctrl_A(1);  wlan_mac_reset_tx_ctrl_A(0);".

#13 2016-Jul-13 15:45:40

cancub

You know, I can't think of a situation where the network overall would benefit from waiting a DIFS when a frame arrives if a DIFS has already been performed previously and the network has been idle since then. I guess you could just consider the implementation in the WARP as a sort of long-virtual DIFS wherein the DIFS is immediately performed after a busy medium and the "virtual" portion of the DIFS ends when you transmit the frame, be that transmission 29 microseconds after the last transmission or 29 years. Alright then, thanks for clearing that up.

I believe you are already very close to this. If you set the DIFS/TxDIFS values to non-zero (to preserve the MAC core's normal sequencing of idle/busy/Tx/Rx), then use explicitly-started backoffs, you can arbitrarily delay a node's transmission relative to the start of the Tx A FSM. If you synchronize two STA's backoff starts and Tx A starts via the beacon timestamp, the node with the shorter backoff will reliably transmit first. With a non-zero DIFS, the other node will defer its own transmission by pausing its backoff counter during the not-IDLE_FOR_DIFS time until after the receive process completes.

Does this mean that a "high" voltage for clear channel assessment sets idle_for_difs to 0? If so, that makes a great deal of sense why this is the solution you're recommending. If I understand properly, even if a previous wait for DIFS was performed, the moment that the high-priority STA transmits, idle_for_difs for both STAs goes to 0 and the low-priority STA will move back into software for further processing/decision making. Does that sound about right?

In any case, in following your advice I seem to have achieved my objective. Thanks again for your help.

#14 2016-Jul-13 16:48:29

murphpo
Administrator

You know, I can't think of a situation where the network overall would benefit from waiting a DIFS when a frame arrives if a DIFS has already been performed previously and the network has been idle since then.

Yeah. It's taken me a long while to develop intuition about this stuff. I find it helpful to remember the definition of T_DIFS = T_SIFS + 2*T_SLOT.

DIFS defines how long after medium activity that every node with something to transmit must wait before resuming their backoffs. The end of the DIFS is a shared event across all Tx-pending nodes. The key is if a node's backoff has expired it gets to transmit immediately at the end of the DIFS. This motivates the T_DIFS definition. SIFS is the shortest time between any two transmissions (RTS/CTS, CTS/DATA, DATA/ACK). Obviously DIFS must be at least this long. Further the DIFS must be at least T_SLOT longer than the SIFS. This permits a node that will transmit after T_SIFS to know its transmission will not collide with another node's transmission. Post-SIFS transmissions do not defer to medium activity. Therefore other nodes must wait at least 1 slot after the SIFS so they can sense whether any post-SIFS Tx has begun. My best guess for the DIFS being SIFS + 2 slots is to permit the PIFS definition of T_SIFS+T_SLOT, giving post-PIFS Tx priority over post-DIFS Tx.

Does this mean that a "high" voltage for clear channel assessment sets idle_for_difs to 0?

The wlan_mac_hw core has a BUSY signal that is the OR of the various "channel busy" sources (Tx PHY, Rx PHY, physical CS, NAV). IDLE_FOR_DIFS de-asserts immediately upon BUSY asserting. IDLE_FOR_DIFS re-asserts as soon as BUSY has been 0 for T_DIFS.

If I understand properly, even if a previous wait for DIFS was performed, the moment that the high-priority STA transmits, idle_for_difs for both STAs goes to 0 and the low-priority STA will move back into software for further processing/decision making. Does that sound about right?

Yes, the Tx/Rx activity will cause both nodes' IDLE_FOR_DIFS signals to de-assert. If the Tx A FSM has already been started, the new medium event will continue the deferral by the FSM. In the C code this is monitored in the do{...}while(TX_A_PENDING) loop in frame_transmit(). The Rx PHY is polled in this loop in case a reception occurs during a deferred transmission.

#15 2016-Jul-14 11:58:02

cancub

My best guess for the DIFS being SIFS + 2 slots is to permit the PIFS definition of T_SIFS+T_SLOT, giving post-PIFS Tx priority over post-DIFS Tx.

That would make sense, although it's odd that a special provision had to be made for the PCF -- with this provision affecting the timing of the DCF -- when the rate of use of the PCF in industry is almost zilch. I guess you can't foresee the lack of use of a protocol when you add it into the standard.

The wlan_mac_hw core has a BUSY signal that is the OR of the various "channel busy" sources (Tx PHY, Rx PHY, physical CS, NAV). IDLE_FOR_DIFS de-asserts immediately upon BUSY asserting. IDLE_FOR_DIFS re-asserts as soon as BUSY has been 0 for T_DIFS.

Ah, okay. That's quite a bit clearer now.

Awesome, thanks for your help and for the detailed explanations of what's going on under the hood.

#16 2016-Jul-17 11:08:10

chunter
Administrator

Yeah, it's confusing that "PIFS" stands for "PCF interframe space." I think it's more useful to think of it as a "Priority" interframe space. Section 9.3.2.3.4 of 802.11-2012 outlines a few other scenarios where a PIFS is used even when not using the PCF.

Board footer