WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-Aug-16 22:23:04

Julian

convertor clock source

The convertor clock on the radio board is wired to the clock board directly via a twisted cable, in stead of using the clock signal from the FPGA.
what's is the purpose for this?  Can I use the clock source from the FPGA?

#2 2011-Aug-16 22:56:04

murphpo
Administrator

Re: convertor clock source

Clocks generated by the FPGA (especially when generated by a DCM) have much higher jitter than when sourced directly from an oscillator. Higher jitter in a sampling clock translates directly to lower SNR in the signal captured/generated by an ADC/DAC.

It is possible to drive the Radio Board ADC/DAC clocks from the FPGA. However it requires mounting a few 0402 resistors (R77 - R80) on the Radio Board.

#3 2011-Aug-17 09:32:58

Julian

Thanks,

I wonder if I mount 0402 resistors on the radio board, do I need to remove the twisted cable?

and do all the reference designs support the convertor clock source from FPGA?

#4 2011-Aug-17 09:50:41

murphpo
Administrator

I wonder if I mount 0402 resistors on the radio board, do I need to remove the twisted cable?

Yes, definitely. You don't want a drive fight between two clock sources.

and do all the reference designs support the convertor clock source from FPGA?

I believe so. The radio_bridge has two ports- converter_clock_in and converter_clock_out. converter_clock_in is used to clock IO registers for all the signals routed to/from the Radio Board. Typically it's connected to the 40MHz clock fed into the FPGA from the Clock Board. converter_clock_out is a copy of this signal driven to the daughtercard slot.

#5 2011-Aug-17 10:07:03

murphpo
Administrator

I should also mention that the range of valid sampling frequencies is limited by the ADC/DACs on the Radio Board. The ADC operates in [1,65]MSps. The DAC range is wider, but depends on what DAC options you enable (PLL, interpolating filters, etc.). Our default configuration bypasses the DAC's integrated interpolation filters, giving a maximum input data rate of 160MSps. See the AD9777 datasheet for details.

Board footer