WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-Apr-03 22:45:05

nicegen

RSSI or RxPower measurement using Python of the 802.11 ref.

I have a plan of the experiments to measure the RSSI or the received power from the WARP STA at the WARP AP.
Using the python code that is released (0.8 Beta), I could configured the experiment setup.
But, in the codes, only the Tx gain and Tx rate can be adjustable.
So, I got the latest updated code from the repository, but, the codes do not matched with the provided bitstream version for the WARP FPGA (e.g. some defined command values and etc.). And, there is no function to get the received power or RSSI in the python codes.
How to get this channel information in 802.11 ref. using the python with WARPnet? not using Xilinx SDK.

#2 2014-Apr-04 00:18:35

welsh
Administrator

Re: RSSI or RxPower measurement using Python of the 802.11 ref.

Just FYI, we do not guarantee that the latest version of the code in SVN will work properly.  That code is in active development and is in a state of flux.  However, you are welcome to try things out and look at where things are headed but you are on your own :)   

The provided bitstreams encapsulate both the hardware project as well as the compile C code that corresponds to the SVN version of the release.  By definition, they will not work with the current SVN version of python since there have been C code updates since the release to support the changes in python.  You can get the latest version of the C code and create your own bitstreams.

To answer the broader question of how to understand received power:  the reason there is no function to "get the received power" is that received power is by definition a per packet property.  This is where the wlan exp log comes in.  Each packet received has information like power, rf gain, baseband gain, channel estimates, etc recorded in the wlan exp log.  From the log of an experiment, you will be able to extract and analyze information about your experiment.  While the log was present in the 0.8 release, it has changed since the 0.8 release.  We are in the process of getting examples together to show how the log works and how to extract and analyze information within the log that will be part of the next release.

#3 2014-Apr-08 14:34:03

nicegen

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful to me.
I tried to compile c code using SDK. But, there are some problem. so, if you don't mind, could you give the latest bitstreams of AP and STA for 802.11 ref to me?

#4 2014-Apr-08 20:14:48

murphpo
Administrator

We're working hard on the 0.9 release of the 802.11 ref design. Our goal to post it Thursday. This release will include the updated hardware design, software design and Python framework for running log-based experiments with many nodes.

Board footer