WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Oct-12 15:19:31

ragha

Dual processor PPC

Hello Team RICE,
   We have been using only one PPC for the whole implementation so far, but now we would like to use the other PPC as well i.e we want to use both the PPC in coordination. Can you please advice us regarding the configuration of the PPCs for master slave mode and any known problems with such a combination.
1) Is it possible to run an OS in one PPC
2) and then run the whole PHY and MAC in other PPC.

your precious advise is eagerly awaited

thanks,
Team CWC

#2 2008-Oct-12 15:45:56

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Dual processor PPC

My understanding is that it's possible to run two different OS environments on the two PPC cores (Linux + standalone, for example). But we have never tried this ourselves. Xilinx has a few documents online that explain the dual-processor design flow (WP262 and XAPP996). I'd be very interested to hear about any progress you guys make along these lines.

#3 2008-Nov-18 15:22:12

ragha

Hello Rice,
               To further update with the ongoing Dual-Core design. We have a problem with adding another PPC to a new XPS project. i.e
When we create a new design with a single PPC (it compiles properly) and then once it compiles properly we add another PPC from the add IP option, after i do this the XPS project is unable to compile. Can you help us with this problem.

-Ragha
HT

#4 2008-Nov-18 18:51:08

murphpo
Administrator

I suspect it's more complicated than just adding a second processor; the PPC core needs various bus, clock and reset connections to function. I would strongly recommend basing your project on one of the Xilinx dual-processor designs (like the one from XAPP996). Their reference designs are for a Virtex-4 platform, but the basic hardware cores and connections should correspond to V2Pro designs as well.

I should reiterate- we haven't tried this ourselves. Our total experience with dual-processor designs comes from reading the white-paper and app note linked above.

#5 2008-Nov-19 13:36:08

ragha

Hi Murpho,
               We ran the project given in XAPP996 on WARP board (WFV2P-1.2-00166). We get the following errors when i change the device configuration to (virtex2p XC2VP70 ff1517 -6)
Read MPD definitions ...
ERROR:MDT - IPNAME:ppc405_virtex4 INSTANCE:ppc405_0 -
   C:\users\ragha\warp\DualCore\xapp996\ml410_dual_ppc\ml410_dual_ppc\system.mhs line 54 - not supported for architecture 'virtex2p'!
ERROR:MDT - IPNAME:ppc405_virtex4 INSTANCE:ppc405_1 -
   C:\users\ragha\warp\DualCore\xapp996\ml410_dual_ppc\ml410_dual_ppc\system.mhs line 147 - not supported for architecture 'virtex2p'!
ERROR:MDT - IPNAME:mgt_protector INSTANCE:mgt_wrapper -
   C:\users\ragha\warp\DualCore\xapp996\ml410_dual_ppc\ml410_dual_ppc\system.mhs line 348 - not supported for architecture 'virtex2p'!
ERROR:MDT - platgen failed with errors!
make: *** [implementation/system.bmm] Error 2

Do you think I should modify the .mhs file according to reference design or can you suggest any other solution.

thanks,
Ragha
HT

Board footer