WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Jun-28 23:57:21

VATSALA SHARMA

signal transmission and reception

using warp v3 how can i transmit a signal form one antenna and receive it through second antenna and plot both the transmitted and received signal to compare.

#2 2017-Jun-29 08:19:26

murphpo
Administrator

Re: signal transmission and reception

I would suggest starting with the WARPLab examples. Modifying the example scripts to use a single node would be straightforward.

Be careful about the maximum Rx power you apply to either antenna port. The Rx circuits can be damaged by power levels higher than around -15dBm. If you connect Tx and Rx interfaces with a cable you *must* use 30+ dB series attenuation (50dB+ is better). When using antennas ensure the path loss exceeds 30 dB between the Tx and Rx antennas.

#3 2017-Jul-07 01:30:20

VATSALA SHARMA

If i am using basic transmission and reception example i.e. wl_example_basic_txrx.m which is configured for transmission and reception using two WARP nodes. How can i modify it for basic transmission and reception using single WARP node. Node 1 should transmit via RFA and receive via RFB and plot the same.

#4 2017-Jul-07 05:28:24

VATSALA SHARMA

Also when i am running wl_example_basic_txrx.m the code is working but in the plot i am not getting received signal. I used /while loop to see continues transmission but there is no received signal. Why? What should be the distance between the two nodes and the two antennas?

#5 2017-Jul-07 07:49:35

murphpo
Administrator

If i am using basic transmission and reception example i.e. wl_example_basic_txrx.m which is configured for transmission and reception using two WARP nodes. How can i modify it for basic transmission and reception using single WARP node. Node 1 should transmit via RFA and receive via RFB and plot the same.

Change init_nodes(2) to init_nodes(1) to initialize just one node, then update every reference to 'node_tx' and 'node_rx' to refer to the same, single node.

Also when i am running wl_example_basic_txrx.m the code is working but in the plot i am not getting received signal. I used /while loop to see continues transmission but there is no received signal. Why? What should be the distance between the two nodes and the two antennas?

I don't know - you haven't told us enough about your setup and code changes to provide any meaningful help. What is the Tx signal? What do you see in the Rx signal? Did you adjust the Rx gains to compensate for the path loss between your Tx and Rx antennas? You will probably need to try various Rx gains to find the optimal values for a given topology.

#6 2017-Jul-07 09:58:07

VATSALA SHARMA

There is no change in the code, it is the same code as provided by WARPLab Reference Dseign--> M_code_examples-->wl_example_basic_txrx.m. I have the screenshot as well as the video but i don't know how to attach it to the warp forum post, is there any scope for it? In the code rx & tx gains given are 15 & 30 respectively and input is 'sinusoid_1    = 0.6 * exp(j*2*pi * 1e6 * t)'

#7 2017-Jul-07 10:47:32

murphpo
Administrator

I cannot tell you what Rx gains to use. This depends on your topology, antennas, center frequency, etc. You must experiment with these parameters to understand how to set appropriate gains.

#8 2017-Jul-19 21:18:10

VATSALA SHARMA

murphpo wrote:

I would suggest starting with the WARPLab examples. Modifying the example scripts to use a single node would be straightforward.

Be careful about the maximum Rx power you apply to either antenna port. The Rx circuits can be damaged by power levels higher than around -15dBm. If you connect Tx and Rx interfaces with a cable you *must* use 30+ dB series attenuation (50dB+ is better). When using antennas ensure the path loss exceeds 30 dB between the Tx and Rx antennas.

As you suggested that while performing wireless signal transmission from singal WARP node using RFA & RFB, Max Rx power must not be higher than -15dBm. Please let me know the value of input sinusoidal signal which will fulfill the above requirements. What should be the distance between two antennas of ports RFA & RFB to ensure 30 dB path loss

#9 2017-Jul-21 09:08:51

murphpo
Administrator

The path loss between antennas depends on the antenna radiation pattern and the antenna orientation. You will need to figure this out from specs of your antennas. If your antennas a going to be close together I would strongly recommend using series attenuators between the SMA jacks and antenna cables, at least until you're sure the Rx power is below the damage level in your final configuration.

Board footer