WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-Dec-21 01:52:10

vutran

One WARPv3 reception signal is much weaker than the other

I'm using 2 sync WARP boards with 8 antennas. I recently noticed that one WARP board reception signal is quite weaker than the other board. And it seems that my DoA algorithm is not as stable as before. I'm using coaxial cable to transmit the same signal to 2 boards. The signal is just a cosine wave. In board 1, the amplitude of the decoded signal is slightly higher than 6, in board 2 the amplitude of the signal is slightly lower than 5. I use RF_A in board 2 as transmitter. Given that once I mistakenly plugged RF_A and RF_B in board 2 into the 2 output port of a splitter (Mini Circuit ZAPD-4-S+). I don't know if that mistake can demage the board or not.
Do you have any idea or suggestion for my situation?
Thank you.

#2 2017-Dec-23 12:17:05

murphpo
Administrator

Re: One WARPv3 reception signal is much weaker than the other

Some variation between interfaces is normal; this is the result of normal variances in component values, manufacturing tolerances and temperature variations. I don't understand the units you describe above - how are you measuring "6" and "5"? Are these on a linear scale (i.e. observing Rx IQ in MATLAB via WARPLab)? If so that's a fairly small difference (<1dB difference).

A very large difference (many dB) in Tx power or Rx power is larger than normal. Exceeding the maximum input power for the MAX2829 (i.e. by connecting Tx -> Rx with zero attenuation) can definitely damage the circuit and could result in more loss than normal in the Rx path.

Board footer