WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Jan-20 13:38:40

jiayang

channel bandwidth

We are trying to see the impact of channel bandwidth on power consumption of WARP. Could anyone tell me is it possible and how to change channel bandwidth on WARP? Will than affect baseband clock?
Thanks a lot!

#2 2009-Jan-23 10:29:42

murphpo
Administrator

Re: channel bandwidth

The over-the-air bandwidth is determined by the sampling rate and interpolation/decimation rates implemented in the FPGA. The A/D and D/A converters on the radio board are always clocked at 40MHz; the corresponding FPGA interface (in the radio_bridge) must likewise run at 40MHz. You can control the behavior of any blocks which connect to the user-side ports of the radio_brdige.

#3 2009-Jan-23 10:43:42

jiayang

Thank you!
"The A/D and D/A converters on the radio board are always clocked at 40MHz; the corresponding FPGA interface (in the radio_bridge) must likewise run at 40MHz"
Does this mean we are not able to change the bandwidth?

#4 2009-Jan-23 10:59:05

murphpo
Administrator

You can change the bandwidth by customizing the FPGA designs imlementing the physical layer. The current OFDM PHY interpolates/decimates by 4x to achieve an over-the-air bandwidth of 10MHz (1/4 of 40MHz). The only way to change the actual sampling rate would be to feed an external clock into the node; the clock board supports this via its external clocking interfaces.

#5 2009-Jan-27 10:30:29

jiayang

Thank you a lot, murphpo! So if I would like to change the over-the-air bandwidth without changing the actual sampling rate, which specific part (matlab model or verilog code) of the PHY implementation should I change?

#6 2009-Jan-28 19:29:33

murphpo
Administrator

You would need to modify the OFDM models, implemented in System Generator. These models are currently built for decimating/interpolating the I/Q sample streams by 4x.

#7 2009-Feb-04 12:55:50

jiayang

I've looked into the OFDM models and located the polyphase interpolator. Should I just change the sampling rate of the up sampler in TX and the down sampler in RX?
And the current sampling rate of the up sampler is specified as "polyphaseBranches", which I didn't find where is initialized. Could you give me some hint?
I'm not familiar with OFDM so please excuse me if the answer is obvious.

#8 2009-Feb-04 21:21:21

murphpo
Administrator

That polyphase filter was designed to implement only a 4x rate change (even though it stubs out the rate change as a parameter). You would need to build a different interpolating filter with the desired rate change, then adjust the sampling periods of the other blocks in the PHY to match the new clock ratios between the core and I/Q ports.

#9 2009-Feb-09 12:40:11

jiayang

Is it possible to change the number of subcarriers used for OFDM on the fly? Say by using 64 subcarriers other than 128, the bandwidth is also halved. Do you think this is feasible?

#10 2009-Feb-10 10:35:10

murphpo
Administrator

Subcarriers can be disabled from software. The warpphy.c function warpphy_set_modulation() currently sets up 48 data-bearing subcarriers. You can model your customizations on this code.

I strongly recommend experimenting with this in Sysgen simulation first. Getting the modulation masks and other PHY parameters (like packet lengths, number of OFDM symbols, etc.) to line up is way easier in Sysgen than over-the-air.

#11 2009-Feb-11 12:39:57

jiayang

Thank you, Murpho! If I disable say one of the 48 subcarriers for data, what are the other parameters or models I should change accordingly? Can it automatically re-map the bits for the changed subcarriers?

Board footer