WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Mar-06 21:49:42

hasand

Node ID Problem

Hi all:

I am experiencing a problem with the node id's. I have one transmitter node and one receiver nodes. My question is whenever I assign "0" and "1" for the nodeID by using dip switches everything is working fine. However, when I assign a different nodeID for (example 2,3...) for one of the nodes again by using dip switches nodes can not communicate with each other. Should I change something with my design when I want to assign a different nodeID other than 0 and 1 ?

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Best,
Hasan

#2 2009-Mar-06 21:57:17

hasand

Re: Node ID Problem

Hi all:

Regarding my previous question, in my scenario I have three nodes. What I want to do is while node 1 and node 2 are having a conversation with each other node 3 is trying to snoop into this conversation (i.e listen the frames that are addressed to node 2 and initiate a new conversation with node 2 or node 1 whenever they are idle).

#3 2009-Mar-07 19:37:29

murphpo
Administrator

The OFDM reference design uses the CSMAMAC code. This code implements a point-to-point link between nodes 0 and 1 by default. You will have to modify the code to implement whatever topology you need. The address filtering (i.e. the node rejecting a packet not addressed to it) is handled in software, so it's just a matter of code changes to enable the sniffing mode you mentioned.

#4 2009-Mar-07 22:01:02

hasand

Hi Patrick:

Thank you very much for your response. In fact in MAC layer there are functions like "warpmac_addressedFromThem, warpmac_addressedToThem" which can help me to implement my scenario, the only problem is I cannot assign WARP any  nodeID different than "0" or "1". What kind of a change do I need to implement snooping for three nodes? Can you explain me more?  What I need to do is: while node A and node B talking to each other node C will listen their conversation. However at the same time node C may initiate a communication with node A and node B. Imagine that node A streaming music to node B, during this stream, node B will also upload/download data file to/from node C. Why such a scenario can not be possible in reference design?

#5 2009-Mar-07 22:07:30

hasand

Hi:

Regarding my question, in this link (http://warp.rice.edu/video_files/demo_RTSCTSMAC.mov) there are three nodes available and communicating with each other. Can you explain how did you succeed this?

Best,
Hasan

#6 2009-Mar-07 23:27:31

murphpo
Administrator

You need to read through the MAC and WARPMAC code to understand how addressing is being used. The reference design assumes a single "route"- every packet is destined to the other node (1->0 and 0->1). A more complicated setup (like 3 nodes with a flow between each pair) will require additional code. You can look at warpnet_csmaMac.c for an example. We built that code for a specialized demo, so I don't suggesting using it as-is. But it does implement translation between IP addresses and wireless MAC addresses to enable topologies with 3+ nodes.

Board footer