WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-Jun-09 05:21:34

eddyxd

What should i config to make WARP connect to a 802.11b AP?

I haved search the forum, and know that there is no existting pcore for 802.11b(DSSS)

So we desided to make a our own phy-pcore to communicate with 802.11b AP.

We have trace some 802.11b document and got that 802.11b using DSSS tecnique with Barker code and Modulate with DPSK in low speed,

and try to make some simple pcore with Matlab and Simulink.

But we still don't known the whole structure of PHY and where we should config for 802.11b

Can anyone give us some advice or what we shold do for this porpose or some experience?

THX!~

#2 2009-Jun-10 22:05:41

murphpo
Administrator

Re: What should i config to make WARP connect to a 802.11b AP?

Implementing a custom PHY in the FPGA is definitely possible, but it will be a large design project. I strongly recommend studying the PHY specification carefully, then building a simulation in m-code. This will help define the algorithms you want to realize in hardware. You can then begin translating this into an FPGA design, either by designing a corresponding System Generator model or writing custom HDL.

#3 2009-Jun-12 02:45:23

eddyxd

Thanks for your reply.

But i still have some prolblem

1. I have planned to study phy and read the 802.11b spec ,but where can i find PHY-spec about WARP??

2. I have seen the PHY-simulink design of "OFDM reference" , but it is too hard and complex to know.
    Does there any document to explain the design??

3. If i tried to replace my DSSS module into some eqivlent part of "OFDM reference design" to adjust it to 802.11b spec.
   Is it simpler than re-designing the whole WARP-phy design??
   Could you give me some advice~

THX  T_T!!~

ps: Is the "m-code" in your reply meaning the Matlab-simulink code design??@@!

#4 2009-Jun-12 10:24:37

murphpo
Administrator

Our documentation is an ongoing effort, but is definitely not as detailed as the 802.11 spec (nor ever will be).

You may be able to re-use some of our PHY's standalone blocks (like AGC and packet detection). However, replacing OFDM with DSSS will require designing all of the signal processing and packet processing blocks from scratch.

Board footer