WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-Apr-05 15:38:24

murphpo
Administrator

Re: downloading bitstream in Board v2

Hmm, that's odd. We definitely switch to Alamouti mode in csamac.c successfully; it's mapped to the keyboard via UART ("A" will switch to TX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_2ANT/RX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_SELDIV). I'd suggest trying that code.

Also, the yellow LED on the radio board indicates that the MAX2829 (the RF transceiver) is in receive mode. The green LED indicates transmit mode.  If you set TX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_2ANT/RX_ANTMODE_ALAMOUTI_SELDIV on both nodes, you should see the yellow and green LEDs lit on both radios during Rx and Tx (yellow and green should never be on simultaneously).

#27 2010-Apr-06 08:47:12

whitehat09

well like I said I've only been using nomac.c, I didnt realize the csmamac.c was needed.

So just to clarify about the group of 3 LEDs on the radio board, 1 of them should only be yellow when receiving, and 1 should be green when transmitting? because no matter what antenna mode I have it in (SISO, MIMO) the middle LED of the group is constantly yellow on both nodes, and each radio card if MIMO setup. The LED closest to the antenna sma very faintly blinks green but the middle one is always yellow. And the SISO mode does work.

#28 2010-Apr-06 09:14:37

murphpo
Administrator

You can use nomac or csmamac- either one works as a top-level application. You can't use both (both define main(), and they implement the same basic flow of Ethernet<->OFDM, just with different MAC behaviors). csmamac includes some user control code via the UART (antenna mode, modulation rate, etc.) that we didn't include in nomac. But you can add the same code to nomac.

The radio's green LED will light up only when the radio is in Tx mode, which is not very long even for big packets (a 1500 byte packet at QPSK lasts ~1ms). You have to send lots of traffic to see it clearly. ping on Unix (with -i 0) or fping on Windows (with -w 0) should work. A good trick is to create a static ARP entry for a non-existant host, then ping that host. This will generate lots of traffic in one direction, which is useful for debugging.

Board footer