WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-Jun-13 19:13:39

toolbox

ARP request

I tried to run the lab 5 and lab 6 files which are available at http://warp.rice.edu/bigFiles/warpmac_labs.zip.

I have persistently seen that initially the server gives a series of ARP requests. I wanted to know whether the client code is capable of handling an ARP request, since I have not seen the code explicitly doing in any place. I would be thankful for any help in this regard.

Moreover, are the ARP requests and ARP responses generated  by MAC layer or the layers above the MAC in the OSI model?

#2 2007-Jun-14 07:52:52

chunter
Administrator

Re: ARP request

All labs and reference designs thus far have stopped at layer two of the OSI networking model. The boards act as ethernet hubs; the packets that are sourced onto one node appear unmodified at the sink of the other node. The nodes have no IP addresses and no wired MAC addresses, so they are not technically part of the network. As such, the boards are completely blind to ARP handshakes between PCs.

If you are seeing ARP requests without ARP replies, that means that something in the chain is failing and there is no link between the source and sink computers. Try hardcoding the arp table on the source computer with the proper MAC-IP relationship of the sink computer. In windows, you can do this with the command

Code:

arp -s X.X.X.X Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y

where X.X.X.X is the IP address and Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y is the wired MAC address of your sink computer. Then, try to ping the IP address of the sink computer, and use a tool like Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) on the sink computer to see if the pings are being received. This should give you a better idea on where in the communication chain the link is failing.

#3 2007-Jun-15 11:38:17

toolbox

Re: ARP request

Thank you! I was able to run the thing by setting up the ARPs manually. I am able to run video and audio though there is poor reception.

However, Ping command still does not have any response from the other end.  "Request timed out " message always come up. I do not know how to solve this problem. Please suggest.

Board footer