WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-Oct-18 14:34:32

Amir

Removing AutoReply function

I'm in the process of porting my modified ofdm pcore design from Reference Design v11 to v15 and I have ended up with too many BRAMs in v15. Now I'm looking to reduce the number of BRAMs and one place there has been an addition with respect to v11 is the AF Buffers in the Rx. What would be the consequence of removing these assuming I don't need the AutoReply functionality? e.g. what sort of modifications to Rx/Tx and driver code would I have to make. Also are there any other blocks that I may be able to take out to save on BRAMs? the same design fitted the Xilinx V2P with v11.

Thanks.

#2 2010-Oct-18 14:54:02

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Removing AutoReply function

You can definitely remove the AF buffers. These are used for amplify-and-forward mode in our cooperative experiments. The auto-responder driven ACKs will still work. The auto-responders are just logic which access the same packet buffers the PHY has always used.

A few other blocks to consider:
-ChipScope ILA (in the OFDM Rx subsystem); uses lots of BRAMs to capture signals for debugging the PHY in ChipScope

-Channel coefficient shared memory (in OFDM Rx/FFT & Chan Est/Chan Est Buffer); this is a shared memory block which captures channel estimates for offline professing. The PHY receiver uses other buffers to store the coefficients used in the equalizer.

-EVM buffers (in Rx/Equalizer & Packetizer/Packet Constructor/EVM Calc/EVM per {Symbol,Subcarrier}). These are both shared memory blocks accessed from software for our experiments, but aren't used by the PHY itself for Rx processing.

Among those four systems, you should be able to save a bunch of BRAMs.

#3 2010-Oct-18 14:56:35

Amir

Re: Removing AutoReply function

Ah! I see. Thanks a lot. Will try my luck with AF buffers first then.

Board footer