WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-Mar-22 11:22:14

riveridea

Can the current ethernet core support IP/MAC fragmentation?

I met a problem when I try to send the big mass data through UDP protocol from the PC to Warp board. Firstly I call the UDP socket write packet method once a time for a whole bunch of data and these data are sent through the IP fragmentation to the WARP. However, the emac_handler ceased to process correctly, because it, except the first IP packet, can not receive the following fragments. And then I split the whole data to small pieces and send them via multiple independent UDP packet without fragmentation invovled. Then emac_handler works well.
I don't know why?

#2 2011-Mar-22 11:27:24

riveridea

Re: Can the current ethernet core support IP/MAC fragmentation?

My thinking is that the IP fragementation is non-related to the ethernet core drivers, and the IP software can handle the reassembly. But the emac_handler can not work well even it works on the MAC level. It totally confuses me.

#3 2011-Mar-23 21:30:41

murphpo
Administrator

It depends entirely on what your C code is doing. By default, the WARPMAC EMAC handler doesn't care about IP; it filters only on ethertype, looking for WARPnet packets. If it's not a WARPnet packet, it calls the user emac handler. I'd suggest adding some printfs to the various emac functions to see how far the suspect IP packets make it into the C code.

#4 2011-Mar-24 10:52:32

riveridea

yes, i also think that the WARPMAC EMAC handler doesn't care about IP. However, when I use the printf in the emac_handler, it always print unrecognized junk characters to my serial port after receiving the second IP fragmentation and then stops. I checked the memory and seem that the rest of the rest of the IP fragmentation did not arrive the xil_fifo at all. If I change the data source to independent UDP packets instead of using the IP fragementation mechnism, the whole software works well and the printf also works well.

#5 2011-Mar-25 07:43:02

murphpo
Administrator

Corrupt UART output and a hung processor usually indicate some kind of memory corruption. Have you changed any of the Ethernet handling code- are packets still being copied via DMA to the PHY packet buffers?

Board footer