WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-Aug-28 16:10:42

henryxu

Question about Simulation?

Hi,

During your development, what kind of simulation methods you have used? I am wondering if you used HDL Co-Simulation besides of Simulink.

Thanks,
Henry Xu

#2 2007-Aug-28 21:54:56

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Question about Simulation?

The PHY models were developed in simulation and tested primarily in real-time in hardware. Sysgen 8.2 and 9.1 (but not 9.2, for some infuriating reason) are fast enough that the full Tx/Rx of multiple packets can be simulated in a few minutes. This is sufficient to verify the operation of the signal processing and control logic. The trickier part is hooking the PHY up to the rest of a full wireless system. The interplay of AGC, packet detection, radio control and the PPC/OPB/PLB can't be readily simulated. We debug the full system in hardware, making extensive use of ChipScope, digital I/O and analog I/O to observe the operation of the complete system.

#3 2007-Aug-29 07:30:08

henryxu

Thanks. By the way, do you have a SISO OFDM reference design?

#4 2007-Aug-29 11:20:07

murphpo
Administrator

The OFDM reference design is SISO by default. The OFDM model in the design supports both SISO and spatially multiplexed 2x2 MIMO modes, and can switch between them on-the-fly (it's a runtime software setting, not a hardware parameter).

#5 2007-Aug-29 13:01:51

henryxu

I understood that. The issue here is that the twice as much as FPGA resource will be used even if I only need a SISO OFDM.
The FFT and IFFT in your MIMO OFDM design is 64 points. Why did you not use 256 points? Was that because the 256-FFT requires too much FPGA resources? Thanks. -Henry Xu

#6 2007-Aug-29 14:08:33

murphpo
Administrator

There would be some resource savings with a strictly SISO model, but it wouldn't be anything near half. Most of the signal processing blocks are time-shared between the MIMO streams. The receiver's single FFT core, for example, processes data from both antennas serially.

Our PHY was designed for non-mobile setups, so the coherence bandwidth assumed for 64-subcarriers in 10 or 20MHz bandwidth is a good fit. The model could be extended to more subcarriers. The bulk of the processing chain would work as-is (it's one long pipeline), but a lot of the control logic would need tweaking.

#7 2007-Aug-29 15:21:33

henryxu

Thank you very much.

Board footer