WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-Nov-27 03:36:21

jh

Ethernet demo problems

We can't get the Ethernet demo working.. There's no response when trying to ping.

The setup is 2 boards with the OFDM reference design v4. The 7-segment leds display '0' on one board, and '1' on the other board. The used download.bit file is straight from the unzipped reference design loaded via IMPACT. We've also generated the local linker scripts and updated & downloaded the bitstreams via XPS. Both ways are successful.

The IPs are configured as 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The firewalls are disabled and if you connect the PCs directly without WARPs, everything works correctly.

Currently we are using the 10Mbps half-duplex mode, and the Ethernet link leds on the boards are burning green. When pinging, the Ethernet activity led blinks and so does the transmitter led on the radio card. However, there's no new led activity on the destination board that would correspond to these pinging attempts.

Any suggestions?

#2 2007-Dec-11 12:50:06

murphpo
Administrator

Re: Ethernet demo problems

Can you re-create any of the workshop exercises using your kits? If any of the MAC labs work (lab exercises 4-6), the wireless/wired bridge should also work.

#3 2007-Dec-11 14:59:40

jh

I think we have tried the MAC labs, but had the same problem. will double check this tomorrow.

What i'm wondering is the clock board.. It's not needed in a SISO setup, right? Is the reference design able to recognize if a clock board is mounted or not, and configure the radio board clk sources accordingly?

We have had the clk boards mounted since the workshop, however there are no cables connected from the clk board to the radio board. Unmounting the clock board didnt solve the problem either, so now i'm thinking that maybe external clk references are needed for the radio board.

#4 2007-Dec-11 15:05:40

murphpo
Administrator

The clock board is required if your radio boards do not have oscillators mounted. Look closely at the radio daughtercards and compare them to this photo. The photo shows a radio with a local oscillator; it's the component mounted vertically just above the word "Rice", just to the right of the gold MMCX jack. If your boards do not have oscillators like this, they must be connected to the clock board in order to provide the radio with its 20MHz reference signal.

#5 2007-Dec-12 06:03:44

jh

it turned out there wasn't a local oscillator on one of the radio boards we were using. I replaced this with a board that has it mounted, but still no luck.

The radio boards have the red leds (of the 3 user leds) glowing indicating that PLL is not locked to a reference. I suspect this might the reason why the radio link doesn't work. If so, how do you fix this? Thanks for your help.

#6 2007-Dec-12 07:46:47

murphpo
Administrator

Did you previously remove clock boards and clock cables from your kits? I didn't prepare your hardware, but if one kit doesn't have a local oscillator, I suspect all three are configured for clock-board-driven radio references (there's a capacitor that can be moved to select the clock source, even if an oscillator is mounted). No wireless project will work until your radios have a valid reference, indicated by the red user LED no longer being lit.

#7 2007-Dec-13 06:38:22

jh

Thanks, you were right. We have the C22 capacitors mounted, so the radio boards are indeed configured for external references. Now we'll just have to find the MMCX cables somewhere.

Board footer