WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-May-28 11:18:41

ofdm2013

reference design 18.0 download-nomac.bit for WARP v2

I followed the workshop (April 2011) to get familiar with MAC design on WARP.
I downloaded WARP reference design download-nomac.bit to my WARP board successfully.

Something I would like to highlight:

1. Among the 4 radios on the WARP, there are two with only red LED; one radio with one yellow LED while another one with yellow and green LEDs, is this correct?

2. The DIP setup is not working. This means there is no MAC address assigned with this nomac protocol.

3. From the workshop testing your MAC, it's mention "we will post the IP address of a machine you should be able to ping".

For my personal warmup, I just find a router address in my local Wireless network and I successfully pinged it.
Can you confirm whether this is correct?

In the workshop,it's mentioned that with more WARPs pinging, the round trip time will increase as there is no MAC and collision occurs. I don't have many WARPs. I tried ping from two WARPs but saw no much difference compared with only one WARP.

Thanks.

Last edited by ofdm2013 (2013-May-28 11:53:48)

#2 2013-May-28 12:28:56

murphpo
Administrator

Re: reference design 18.0 download-nomac.bit for WARP v2

1) The OFDM ref design should only be used on kits with 2 Radio Boards. The design assumes an Analog Board is present in slot 4. It is fine if no daughtercard is in slot 4, but it is bad if there is a non-Analog Board there. To use the design on a 4-radio kit you should modify the XPS project to remove the analog_bridge and its associated constraints.

2) nomac doesn't use node IDs, so it ignores the DIP switch and doesn't display anything on the hex display.

3) Think of nomac as a bridge- any packet it receives via Ethernet is transmitted via the OFDM PHY; any packet received via OFDM is re-transmitted via Ethernet. If you want to ping across the nomac link you need to connect one PC to each WARP node and ping one PC from the other. If the nomac bridge is working, the ARP and ICMP packets will be received on Ethernet, transmitted/received wirelessly and re-transmitted on the other Ethernet.

#3 2013-May-28 13:20:43

ofdm2013

Thanks.

I will remove the radio board in slot 4 and retry.

I found I also need to remove radio board from slot 1.

murphpo wrote:

1) The OFDM ref design should only be used on kits with 2 Radio Boards. The design assumes an Analog Board is present in slot 4. It is fine if no daughtercard is in slot 4, but it is bad if there is a non-Analog Board there. To use the design on a 4-radio kit you should modify the XPS project to remove the analog_bridge and its associated constraints.

2) nomac doesn't use node IDs, so it ignores the DIP switch and doesn't display anything on the hex display.

3) Think of nomac as a bridge- any packet it receives via Ethernet is transmitted via the OFDM PHY; any packet received via OFDM is re-transmitted via Ethernet. If you want to ping across the nomac link you need to connect one PC to each WARP node and ping one PC from the other. If the nomac bridge is working, the ARP and ICMP packets will be received on Ethernet, transmitted/received wirelessly and re-transmitted on the other Ethernet.

Last edited by ofdm2013 (2013-May-28 14:23:45)

#4 2013-May-28 14:43:43

ofdm2013

It's still not working.
I removed radio 1 and 4 from WARP v2 kits and only keep 2,3.

I setup the host pc IP as 10.0.0.200 and 10.0.0.201. They are still not able to ping each other.

Something I observed:
1. After I wrote the nomad.bit image to WARP, radio 2 has a yellow LED while radio 3 has all red LED.
2. I directly connect the two WARPs to the host PC without any switch in between. I found from the ethernet LED indicator on WARP, one WARP is using 10M connection and another one is using 1G.

murphpo wrote:

Last edited by ofdm2013 (2013-May-28 14:47:39)

Board footer